Stacked die cuts

stacked die cut Heather Telford

When I first tried this technique I did it the same way many did, by cutting multiples die cuts from cardstock and gluing them on top of each other. I now use a quicker method where I  die-cut the image out of foam which replaces the stack of cardstock die cuts. I always find it a little tricky to stack the very fine stems and letters; the foam stretches a bit and the cardstock is very hard to line up. Despite these fiddly factors I managed to get it all in place to create this subtle floral design on another abstract watercoloured panel.

Dancing die cut Heather Telford

This was one of those panels where the brusho patterns turned out to be very pretty so I didn’t want to lose much by stamping over it or cropping. Raising a die cut image is a great solution when you want to preserve some pattern but still have a focal image.

stacked die cut flat Heather Telford

Supplies:

Stamps:  Sprinkles & Smiles (PB)
Die: Shall we dance
Paints:  Brusho powders (Colourcraft)
Inks:  Deep Lagoon ink (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: stick it adhesive sheet, adhesive backed fun foam

 

Advertisements

Watercolour Dance

dancing watercolour floral Heather Telford

It’s really quite hot here at present and this card some how makes me feel a little cooler. It’s either the watery splatter or the cool blues and greens. I used up another abstract watercolour panel to make this card; there is quite a pile of painted or stamped panels sitting on my desk waiting to be turned into something. As you can probably guess this panel was mainly green but had a bit of purply pink on it. I am pretty sure it was done with brusho because there are little bits of other colours mixed in which is one of the nice features of brusho paint – the colours are not purely one pigment.

dancing floral Heather Telford

I used the new ‘shall we dance’ die from Penny Black to cut as many  flowers as I could. I didn’t need them all to be complete die cuts as I wanted some tall and some short. Before I cut them I put ‘stick it’ adhesive on the back of the whole panel to make things easier later. Once I had all the flowers I could squeeze out of the panel I played around with positioning until I was happy. I did it all on a plain white panel assuming that I would keep the background blank and let the colours in the flowers pop. It would have been ok that way but I decided to use my watercolour pencils to try a little splatter in similar colours to the flowers.  It may not be strictly white space any longer but it is pretty.

dancing flowers closeup Heather Telford

I am going to let this card play along with not one, but two challenges.
The CASology cue card is

and the CAS Mix Up challenge is

I read the fine print and discovered that if you didn’t have sprays then splatter is just fine so we’re in!

Supplies:

Stamps:  Words of Kindness (PB)
Die: Shall we dance
Paints:  Brusho powders (Colourcraft)
Inks:  Cottage Ivy Memento ink (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: stick it adhesive sheet