A friend asked me to make her Christmas cards this year, a task I happily took on. She does not want a huge amount but enough that I am definitely doing some mass production. I found this weekend when I started to make numerous versions of the holly card above it wasn’t long before I had adapted it a little. I actually prefer the one below, my second version.
I had created quite a few of the version above when I accidentally scored the white cardstock in the wrong direction, hence version three below.
I created the tiles first by inking the holly stamp with red and green markers and stamping it on white card. I then added the music background stamp in grey ink which had been stamped off on scrap first to make it lighter. I used a punch to cut out as many tiles as possible then a larger punch for the mats. I sponged the tiles after they were punched. The background holly on the base was just stamped in green.
Stamps: Winter Bough, Joy.Hope, Flourish Christmas (Penny Black)
Cardstock: Penny Black Mix & Match Rose Garden and Sea Breeze
Inks: Memento Rhubarb Stalk, Cottage Ivy, London fog, Lady bug(Tsukineko)
Also: Grosgrain ribbon
Karen is hosting the One Layer Wednesday challenge this week and it is right up my alley; we have to use masking. I punched a square out of a post-it note and masked a bunch of squares tumbling across my card. Each square is sponged in Gingerbread Versamagic Chalk ink and then an image is stamped in Potter’s Clay Memento ink. I had all my squares completed and my sentiment stamped once but I wasn’t happy with the sentiment. It was too pale so I stamped it again using the stamp positioner but I didn’t get it exactly on the previous impression. Aach, don’t you hate that? It happens to me too often. I wasn’t prepared to start again with my little squares so I just restamped those words about 7 or 8 more times which made them darker but also made the shadow impression less annoying and maybe looked like it was meant to be there. Sometimes it is possible to turn a little glitch around.
I attended the wedding of one of our school’s violin teachers today. I knew I needed to make a card this morning before I went and it just so happened that the Less is More challenge provided the right inspiration. I planned to use a music motif anyway but the colour scheme and layout of the Less is More blog header helped me complete the rest of my design. I had no idea what the colour scheme of the wedding was but my card reflects the colours of the invitation: classic black & white with a touch of beige. The sentiment panel matted in black is popped up on dimensionals as is the square music and floral panel.
The bride looked beautiful in ivory lace, as did the maid of honor in burgundy and gorgeous flower girl in ivory with a burgundy sash.
As I have said before on this blog we often have need of musically themed cards in this house. This one is made using the Penny Black music background stamp which I love because it is big and the music can cover a whole card base if necessary. For this card I just stamped it in grey on a panel and then used marker to ink the iris stamp. Before stamping it I spritzed it with water so the image would “bleed” a little then finished the panel off with some sponging and a sentiment.
Several people have asked what I use for sponging; I cut circular sponges into quarters which you can see in my sponging tutorial post here.
Thanks for dropping in today; I hope you have a great week.
Stamps: Music background, Irises (Penny Black), Kind Thanks (SU)
Inks: Perfect Plum, Elegant Eggplant, Garden Green, Going Gray (SU)
Cardstock: MFP 100lb white, Perfect Plum, Elegant Eggplant