Blooming Blue Again

I’m still having fun with PB ‘blooming’ stamp. Once again I used blue inks but this time the combo was chipped sapphire and blueprint sketch. When blended I got blues and purples but not the pinks that seedless preserves provided. If you read my last post you might remember I unintentionally ended up with brown centres. This time I made sure I inked with fossilized amber and wild honey to create yellow centres.

I worked in the stamp positioner to make this panel and did all the green and blue inking and stamping first. I left the centres un-inked so I could add them after the petals were stamped, blended and dry. I don’t mind some blending but I didn’t want the blue and yellow to get too close and blendy because that would mean green centres. Once the yellow centres dried I used a black gel pen to add stamen.

I wanted to gussy this one up a little but still keep the clean look so I used a small piece of organza ribbon across the base of the panel then stamped on a banner die cut and tied it on with twine.

Supplies

11 Comments on “Blooming Blue Again”

1. Your flower series is gorgeous!! Question: when you talk about using the 2 blue inks, how do you do that? Do you stamp both onto the stamp? Do you paint them onto the stamp only in certain areas? Do you only watercolor with them? I’d like to know so I can do this too! Linda

• Heather says:

Thank you Linda. When applying inks to the stamp I use either markers or stamp pads directly on the stamp, often randomly. If I don’t want ink somewhere I just wipe it off before lightly spritzing the stamp with water then stamping. I blend the stamped ink to fill the petals, pulling it from the stamped line with a paintbrush. If I need extra ink I smoosh the ink pad onto my glass mat or an acrylic block so I can pick up extra ink with a wet brush.

2. nancystiz says:

I love seeing your work with this gorgeous stamp. Your colors are always so appealing, mixing colors I’d never think to do. I also love the way you finish off the flower centers with such care and details. Beautifully done!

• Heather says:

Thanks so much, Nancy. I am enjoying adding the little details at the end of watercolouring; it’s not something I’ve always done but it does finish the flowers nicely.

3. paprpass says:

You always teach me something new about color, how it does or doesn’t play well with other colors, how you can make it ‘sing’ and ‘pop’ depending on how you apply water to each shade and how to be brave. Cheering you on! You rock!!

4. Jan Castle says:

Sooooooo PRETTY Heather! I enjoy seeing your work and the ease in how you accomplish the art! Simply Amazing!!!!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

More beautiful flowers and these latest blue ones are just gorgeous Heather, ad the added detail to the centres really finishes the perfectly. x

6. Karen Jackson says:

This is another beautiful panel Heather. The colour is exquisite and the detail on the centres give the flowers that ‘just picked’ quality. Fabulous.

7. Loll says:

I’m loving this stamp done in different colours. Your watercolouring always amazes me, Heather. I love the addition of the ribbon and tied sentiment banner at the bottom of the card. xx

8. nise says:

Organza ribbon does gussy it up 🙂! I enjoy seeing what colors you use and I just need to TRY it myself one day. These are blue beauties!