More vintage watercolour

vintage watercolour butterflies Heather Telford

Thank you for your encouraging response to yesterday’s technique video. Please let me know if you give it a try. I have another card done in the same style today so if you missed the instructions yesterday, check out the tutorial here. The painting on this one was more straightforward as there was no masking. The butterflies are all on one large stamp, ‘Butterfly Charmer‘, and their botanical look makes them perfect for the vintage treatment.

watercoloured butterfly closeup Heather Telford

As with yesterday’s card I stamped in vintage photo distress ink; this provides the sepia tone which I want to carry through the whole image as well as the water solubility necessary to blend the ink with the added colour from the watercolour pencils. I chose a blue, a purple and a pink pencil and switched from one to another as I coloured each butterfly.

vintage butterfly closeup Heather Telford

The assembly was more time consuming with this card partly because it had fiddly little lace and charm elements. The main reason putting this card together took a while though was because I didn’t know what I wanted. I glued down some lilac ribbon and added a bow to the butterfly charm only to decide I didn’t like it. Thankfully the ribbon pulled off without ruining the watercolour panel.  I did want the lace and the charm so I paired them with an embossed sentiment on a tag plus a little flourish die cut . The whole shebang is matted with the same pale brown as the tag and popped up on a natural coloured card base. I know for some of you this constitutes a fairly simple layout but for me this is high on the fussy-fiddly scale!

Stamps: Butterfly charmer, Happy Snippets (PB)
Dies: flourish & butterflies, a pocketful
Inks:  Vintage Photo distress ink (Ranger) Versamark (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Hot pressed Fabriano watercolour paper, brown cardstock
Also:  Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils (Faber-Castell), lace, butterfly charm

19 Comments on “More vintage watercolour”

1. June deHart says:

I love looking at and reading your posts. I’m an avid card maker. Thanks for all the wonderful cards and tips.

2. M says:

just incredible! Your cards are so lovely, thanks for the inspiration Heather.

3. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

I’m glad you used this stamp. I’ve tried several versions using it, but I haven’t been pleased. New ideas help!

4. Micheline Jourdain says:

Just adorable Heather! I love it so much ! C’est magnifique !

I love your sepia toned butterflies with hints of purple and red Heather, just so beautiful with the kraft card and creamy coloured lace. x

6. canadiancaroline says:

The ecru lace and kraft paper are a perfect addition to this card, Heather.

7. Gabby says:

Absolute beautiful vintage-style watercoloring, Heather! Lovely image and your coloring does truly look like a vintage print, wallpaper of another era. I was amazed that you used only three colors on your butterflies. The lovely lace ribbon and charm are perfect embellishments, as well. THANKS for the video. 🙂

8. maureenchandler says:

What a beautiful card – love your choice of colors!! Thanks so much for sharing your talent!

9. Mary Prasad says:

Love the look. So elegant.

10. Rosie says:

I’ve just watched your Vintage Watercolour video – it’s great and so clear. I hope to try this technique very soon.

11. Clelie says:

This stamp is now on order!…and I can’t wait to try this effect! The coloring looks so complex; I will hope to achieve a semblance of this beauty!…and I know I’ll have fun trying. 🙂 Gorgeous!

12. […] almost the same method as shown in the video but left out the elegant writer pen (as I did in this butterfly card). I stamped the original tulip images in vintage photo distress ink then blended the ink in the […]

13. […] {Card originally posted to Heather’s blog HERE.} […]

14. […] a slightly different technique to try. As with my previous vintage style watercolours (birdhouse, butterflies, tulips) I stamped the image in vintage photo distress ink. Other water based dye inks in brown […]

15. cmayne says:

I’ve just discovered your blog via Penny Black and I’m in breath-taken-away awe! I’m supremely water-colour challenged, but your techniques from your video (using the pencils) has me intrigued! Perhaps I’ll try yet one more time*grin* As for your butterflies…swooning! Stunning, gorgeous, spectacular! I’ll be back for more inspiration, guaranteed!
    ~carol

16. […] accent on the side. You can find my earlier ‘vintage watercolour’ cards here:birdhouse, butterflies, tulips, jubilance, […]