All this week on the Penny Black blog you can check out the designers’ favourites from the new Happy Everything collection. It will come as no surprise that I chose a brushstroke stamp that lends itself to the watercolour technique.
To create the pink card below I inked the ‘First Dance’ lily with a combination of distress ink and memento markers then stamped onto dry watercolour paper. I created a mask to cover the centre lily then stamped another lily on either side. With three lilies in a row I spritzed the panel with water and let the dark and light pinks blend a little. I used memento markers to draw over the stamen and stems and to redo the dots on the petals. To finish I picked up with a paintbrush a little diluted pink ink to paint around the top edges of the panel and some green around the bottom.
Stamps: First Dance, Every Happiness (PB)
Inks: Memento Bamboo Leaves, Lilac Posies, Angel Pink, Potter’s Clay, Pear Tart (Tsukineko) Worn Lipstcik Distress Ink (Ranger)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Penny Black mix & match Fuschia Fantasies paper
The yellow and green lily below was created using the wet into wet technique. It is most apparent where the ink has bled from the stem and leaves. It also bled from the petals (Memento Dandelion) making them quite pale so I used Mustard Seed distress stain to paint over them and intensify their colour. The background panel is stamped with one of the new ‘Twirls’ border stamps.
Stamps: First Dance, Special Wishes (PB)
Inks: Memento Dandelion, Potter’s Clay, Espresso Truffle, Pear Tart, Bamboo leaves (Tsukineko)
Distress Stains: Mustard Seed(Ranger)
Creative Dies: Feather & Frames
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Penny Black mix & match Olive Grove
This week the Penny Black design team has been playing along with the current Runway Inspired Challenge.
My top card was made by sponging through a couple of masks cut with the blissful die and three different memento inks (listed below). The popped up tiles on the card below were made using the emboss resist method and the same three inks.
Now that I am back from my trip to DC and half way through the piles of washing I found a little time to create a card. I have some great design team tasks to tackle and new class projects to design for August but before I dive into them I played around with a new toy. I know it doesn’t look like anything new here but I cut my mask with one of my new spellbinders square dies. Creating a mask with a die is that little bit easier than lining up the four post-it notes. (not a ground breaking technique, I know!)
With my mask in place I sponged Memento pistachio ink on the lower two thirds of the square and summer sky in the top third. Before removing the mask I stamped the grasses across the bottom of the scene. After removing the mask I added the grass and sentiment in olive grove.
I hope to settle back into a routine of visiting and commenting on your blogs; thank you so much for dropping in here.
I have two emboss resist cards for you today, one inspired by the Less is More colour challenge for this week Lime Green & Black. Both tiles were created by stamping the letter background first then the tile stamp in versamark next so it could be embossed with clear powder. I finished the tiles by sponging two tones over the panel and trimming back to an even rectangle. The tiles are popped up on dimensional tape.
A note about sentiment placement: These tiles really don’t take up much space on the cardbase so I tried to make a triangle when adding the sentiment, to lead the eye across the card. In order to work out the best position for the sentiment I stamped it on an acrylic sheet with a stamp positioner first so I could move it around and see the possibilities. When playing with the “feel better” stamp above it did not look good side by side with the tile but did work below. I think the eye is lead down by the gradation of colour and ending up on the sentiment. On the card below I was able to create my triangle but not as I expected to, by lining the sentiment up with the base of the tile but by moving it up ever so slightly. All that to say it pays to work with a stamp positioner. There was a time I thought I wouldn’t ever use one but now I pull it out often.
PS. Two posts today! Scroll down for this week’s One Layer Wednesday