Watercolouring the Lily

All this week on the Penny Black blog you can check out the designers’ favourites from the new Happy Everything collection. It will come as no surprise that I chose a brushstroke stamp that lends itself to the watercolour technique.

heather

To create the pink card below I inked the ‘First Dance’ lily with a combination of distress ink and memento markers then stamped onto dry watercolour paper. I created a mask to cover the centre lily then stamped another lily on either side. With three lilies in a row I spritzed the panel with water and let the dark and light pinks blend a little. I used memento markers to draw over the stamen and stems and to redo the dots on the petals. To finish I picked up with a paintbrush a little diluted pink ink to paint around the top edges of the panel and some green around the bottom.

Pink Lilies Heather Telford

Stamps:  First Dance, Every Happiness (PB)
Inks: Memento Bamboo Leaves, Lilac Posies, Angel Pink, Potter’s Clay, Pear Tart  (Tsukineko) Worn Lipstcik Distress Ink  (Ranger)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Penny Black mix & match Fuschia Fantasies paper

The yellow and green lily below was created using the wet into wet technique. It is most apparent where the ink has bled from the stem and leaves. It also bled from the petals (Memento Dandelion) making them quite pale so I used Mustard Seed distress stain to paint over them and intensify their colour. The background panel is stamped with one of the new ‘Twirls’ border stamps.

Yellow & Green lily Heather Telford

Stamps:  First DanceSpecial Wishes (PB)
Inks: Memento Dandelion, Potter’s Clay, Espresso Truffle, Pear Tart, Bamboo leaves  (Tsukineko)
Distress Stains: Mustard Seed(Ranger)
Creative Dies: Feather & Frames
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Penny Black mix & match Olive Grove

10 Comments on “Watercolouring the Lily”

1. jmhave44 says:

Love the both of them. So beautiful & delicate. TFS

2. Janice says:

Beautiful ! ordered the stamps and will give it a try . Thanks so much . Jan

3. Sandy M says:

Two more exquisite creations.

4. These are gorgeous Heather…I love how dreamy watercolour can be…done beautifully!

5. Jan Castle says:

Gorgeous cards Heather…I liked what you did so much on your blog, so I ordered the stamp to give it a try myself! Thanks for sharing how you did it!!!
    Jan Castle

Oh, these are beautiful! So much better than gilding the lily would have been. 😉 So far, my watercolour stamping experiments have not been terrific, but I’m determined to keep trying…

7. Gabby says:

Lovely springtime lilies, Heather! Such beautiful coloring. 🙂

8. lesliekmiller says:

Both are beautiful with your two slightly varied techniques. Love these PB brushstroke stamps.

9. Penny Nichols says:

These are so beautiful!

10. Robyn Oliver says:

I love your cards Heather, you inspire me heaps…I’ve tried out this technique and will be playing around a lot more Thank you