Combining scenic stamps

I’ve been playing with scenic stamps again, this time combining sections of two stamps to create a new scene. The Penny Black ‘farmland’ stamp forms the background scenery and the PB ‘homeward’ stamp makes up the foreground.

Out of habit (a successful one!) I used distress inks and markers to ink the stamps and add detail to the design. I kept the palette limited using two blues for the sky and several greens and browns for the rest of the scene. To see the process take a look at the video below.

I know some people find scenic stamps a bit daunting but the detail in the stamps themselves makes it possible to add a little or a lot of your own artistry. I hope you find the techniques shown in the video helpful.

You can see cards featuring the farmland stamp on its own here and to see the homeward stamp here.

I mentioned in the video that although I think the fields look authentic I have no idea what the crops might be. If you know of crops that would appear to be rust or olive coloured mention it below!

Supplies

(Compensated affiliate links used when possible)

7 Comments on “Combining scenic stamps”

1. Paula S says:

Hi Heather,
    I just recently started following your blog. Your work is lovely! Soybean or wheat fields ready for harvest would be a golden color like in your scene. And soybean fields in the summer are a deep green. We have a lot of soybean fields in Illinois. It doesn’t matter to me what the crops could be-you’ve made a beautiful work of art!

Just fabulous as always Heather and inspired to put these two scenes together and so seamlessly too. I love the colours you have chosen and the fields look perfect, and you have created such depth with your clever extra bits of colour in just the right places. x

3. Jill W. says:

Great video! I really like how you used the two scenic stamps. I enjoyed watching you making your stunning scene come to life!

4. nancystiz says:

You do such a magnificent job with these scenic stamps which I always enjoy doing. It’s your color choices that make yours so special as well as your uncanny ability to combine stamps. Love this! It’s such a fresh looking scene!

5. paprpass says:

Beautiful! Well done!! I agree wholeheartedly with all the other comments. You continue to amaze and delight me. So realistic. Looks like a scene in Iowa.

• Heather says:

Thank you so much, these scenes are one of my favourite stamping techniques but not always popular with other stampers. It is lovely to hear they are inspiring people😊

6. […] again I began by creating the watercolour background (you can see the technique in the videos here and here). I used diluted faded jeans, mowed lawn and gathered twigs distress inks. Once the […]