I remember when all the library books had cards tucked into a pocket inside the back cover. I don’t remember any of the library cards being particularly pretty though! I am enjoying using the library card stamp and the notebook page also from the set “Life’s Journals”
I created my library card with distress stains, first inking the stamp then spritzing and stamping it on watercolour paper. I used a waterbrush to blend the colours and add any extra colour including blue for the background. I stamped the library card image when the paper was almost dry. The olive notepad page behind was die cut in two steps. Because I wanted the notepad to be wide enough to almost fill the card base I ran the die through the Big Kick half-way then repositioned the die by lining up the little circles at the top and ran it through again. The library card and label are popped up over a piece of faux burlap ribbon.
I haven’t stamped anything inside the card yet but the “For the Record” stamp leaves me plenty of possibilities…
The Penny Black design team have been sharing projects featuring the new Pocket Treasures release all week so check out the blog if you haven’t done so already.
The details post is up on One Layer Simplicity highlighting some great one layer cards and the new challenge will go live tomorrow, August 1st.
Supplies:Stamps: Sunny Hello, Life’s Journals, Remember This (PB)
Creative Dies: A Pocket Full (PB)
Inks: Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Fired Brick, Walnut Stain Distress Stains, Broken China stain and ink (Ranger)
Paper: Neenah Natural White 110lb card stock, Olive Grove Mix & Match paper, Fabriano 100% cotton hotpressed watercolour paper
Also: May Arts Faux Burlap Wired Ribbon
I have a mini tutorial today showing you how I “paint with stamps”. Sometimes I want to change something on the stamp I am using, perhaps add a stem or leaf, or leave something out. It is possible to do this with masking or, if I am watercolouring and the initial stamped image will be pale and watery it is possible to wipe some of the ink off the stamp before I stamp it onto my panel.
The photo above shows how I tape my watercolour card base down to prevent too much warping when it gets wet. I cut the card base to the finished size to begin with; the tapes create a border for the finished picture. After taping I painted water onto the panel.
I inked the sunflower heads with memento cantaloupe ink and stamped them three times. I used a pale colour because I was creating an outline image to paint. Before stamping the top and bottom flowers I wiped a bit of ink off the centre of the flower to allow me to change the flower a little when adding colour later. The leaves are inked with memento bamboo leaves ink. Rather than cut masks for the leaves I inked the stamp then wiped off the ink where it was likely to overlap with another leaf. I began adding colour to the petals with a brush, picking up ink from a watercolour pencil. I painted all the petals in yellow with fairly loose brush strokes not worrying if the colour stayed inside the lines.
When adding the colour to the petals you can see I left an oval space on the top flower where I wanted to change the shape of the dark centre. I kept the waterbrush nice and wet as I painted to create a watery blended effect on the petals. When I was happy with the yellow petals I reinked the petals on the stamp with memento tangelo ink, stamped over the colouring I had done and blended a bit more with colour from an orange pencil.
The stamp features petals which cover most of the flower’s centre as you can see in the middle flower. I did not want the flowers to be identical so I drew an oval centre on two of the flowers with watercolour pencil. I blended the darker colour and added definition by dipping the pencil tip into water before drawing with it.
I painted the leaves the same way picking up colour from a watercolour pencil with a wet paintbrush. I added more colour to the lowest leaf which is shadowed by the other too. When the flowers were almost dry I painted water around the edge of the petals then added blue to the background area blending with water to fade it out on the right hand side.
I am not very happy with the arrangement of my flowers. The poor things need stems! Its as though they have heads and shoulders but no necks! I wouldn’t follow my example in the layout of the images if I were you, but I hope you have fun with the technique.
Stamps: Sunny Hello (Penny Black)
Inks: Memento Cantaloupe, Tangelo, Bamboo Leaves (Tsukineko)
Pencils: Albrecht Durer Light Orange 113, Orange yellow 109, Indian Red 192, True Blue, 148, Moss Green 168 (Faber-Castell)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper