Last week I posted several loosely watercoloured cards. The poppies on today’s card were painted with more precision and there was no spritzing to make the colours blend and bleed. I worked on a watercolour block which I had splattered with a fine mist of masking fluid. The end result with such a fine mist could represent snow but I think it could pass for rain too. I have had snow fall on my daffodils and tulips but the poppies are pretty safe! Once the masking fluid was dry I inked the poppy image from ‘blooming garden‘ with memento angel pink and new sprout markers. The colours are fairly pale so I had an outline to work with but not so dark that it would be noticeable after I had added all the colour. For this one I used my watercolour pencils as paints. I do this by picking up colour from the lead of the pencil with a waterbrush then painting with it. For the poppies I used colour from three pink pencils (listed below), for the stems and seed heads two greens and a brown then a blue and a green for the background.
I didn’t want both of the tall poppies to look exactly the same so I altered the petals a bit on the left hand one. When I checked a photo of seed pods to choose my colours I saw many were quite round so I fattened mine up a little. When the poppies and seed heads had dried I drew some veins and ridges with the watercolour pencils.
To create the little tag I painted a scrap of watercolour paper with the same colours I had used on the background of the main panel, die cut a ‘flower tag’, then stamped the sentiment from the ‘sprigs’ set across it. To complete the card I matted the panel with a narrow red mat, tied the tag on with embroidery floss, popped the panel up on a wider green mat and attached it to a cream card base.
As you know I love doing the loose watery images but I also find it quite satisfying to work slowly to paint a more formal image.
Kathy Racoosin is doing a 30 day coloring challenge at present which inspired me to do pull out my pencils.
Stamps: Blooming Garden, Sprigs (PB)
Creative Dies: flower tags (PB)
Inks: Memento Angel Pink, New Sprout, Olive Grove markers (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Neenah Classic Crest Natural White 110lb smooth, pink and green cardstock
Also: Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils medium flesh 131, dark red 225, indian red 192, night green 155, pine green 267, olive green 173, moss green 168, apple green 170(Faber-Castell), Cream embroidery floss
I rarely participate in sketch challenges but here I am playing along with CAS(E) this sketch for the second week in a row. I had several watercoloured tags lying around that had been completed a while ago so I chose the rose and map one for this card. I stamped the same tag on the card base in Memento Desert Sand then masked the edge. I had my camera handy so photographed the next step. (It was only after I had taken two photos that I realized I had no photos of the tag painting process which is probably what you are more interested in!)
I sponged around the edges of the masked area then crumpled up a piece and used it to stamp more Desert Sand ink around the edges.
Before removing the masks I drew around the edge with a Faber-Castell watercolour pencil and blended it with a waterbrush.
Now for the hard part. I don’t exactly remember how I did the tag way back when. I think I must have stamped the tag with Versafine Onyx Black because the image hasn’t bled at all. Then I probably wet the watercolour paper and started adding colour. Not sure what the inks were… Sorry about the lack of information; I am now trying to remember to take notes as I create in case it is a while before I finish a project or write a post.
This sweet tag is one of three large tags in the new Blooming Tags set; there are three teeny tags as well. I kept it simple for this card using one colour along with black and white. The tag is stamped in Versafine Onyx black then sponged around the edges in Summer sky. The flowers are coloured with Summer sky also. The background panel was sponged first before I added texture by inking the stamp with Summer sky ink then spritzing it so that the image was blurred and incomplete each time I stamped it.