Snowy Panorama

As I post yet another winter scene I can tell you there is still no sign of winter round here. We’ve been having mild fall days. It is weird for it to be so warm with the trees almost bare! To create today’s card I used Penny Black’s ‘panorama’ stamp. I stamped the horizon line first in broken china distress ink. This is a step I often do if I want to paint the sky with the wet on wet technique. By stamping the edge where the snow meets the trees I was able to paint water on the whole panel from the horizon up then add in broken china and uncharted mariner to get a varied blue sky. I did get blue ink on the white tree trunks but I had already decided I would touch them up with white paint at the end of the process.

While the sky was still drying (in the stamp postioner) I inked the distant trees with forest moss and pine needles and stamped. The ink soaked into the damp paper creating the soft focus effect you see above. I dried the panel then switched to an archival ink to stamp the three foreground trees. I also stamped them in black soot distress ink and the lines in the snow with uncharted mariner. I blended a bit with a paint brush but also spritzed lightly to get the inks to feather out a little.

You can probably tell I started with splattered masking fluid on the watercolour panel. I tend to do a few panels at a time so they are ready later when I want to stamp a winter scene. If you don’t want to bother with masking fluid you can always splatter with white paint when you have finished your scene.

Thank you to all who left me a kind message on my Rivulet card post. Many of your guesses were close; like me you picked a brown and a blue. The two inks were uncharted mariner and ground espresso; I love the range of hues I got when those two mixed.

(Compensated affiliate links from Foiled Fox, Scrap n Stamp & Ecstasy Crafts)

7 Comments on “Snowy Panorama”

1. Lagene says:

Beautiful creation! Getting our first wet snow here in the Rogue Valley in southern Oregon. It will be gone by noon though.

2. Karen Jackson says:

Another beautiful winter scene Heather, crystal clear and a real joy to see. We are experiencing late Autumn/ early Winter here. It has been fairly mild, but the days are dreary, dark and very wet.:( The rain has cleared for a while these past four nights, and left clear star filled skies, but next morning the rain is back.

3. nancystiz says:

Beautifully done! I’m enjoying seeing your work with these new stamps as mine have arrived yesterday. This is gorgeous and I do love the soft focus look you achieved. I can only hope for results at least half as good as yours are.

Another fabulous winter scene and love the soft focus trees in the background and the softer blue below the trees which is very effective. It didn’t occur to me that the brown was Ground Espresso as it looked a lot paler with the water, but those two colours are perfect together. x

5. Loll says:

So lovely. I would love to live there. 🙂 xx

6. nise says:

Your dreamy s-n-o-w scene is fantastic! I am seeing uncharted mariner in my future. Hoping to play with some of my scene stamps, a light touch and your instructions one day soon.