Let Heaven and Nature Sing

This sweet bird is one of four in the Penny Black set ‘Nature Sings’. It is my plan to make a similar card with all four birds. I returned to a very clean and simple style for this one utilising some masking, blending and watercolour.

I worked on hot pressed watercolour paper because I knew I would watercolour the bird. Before stamping I tore a post-it note mask and lay it across the panel then blended speckled egg ink above it. I stamped the bird in soft stone papertrey ink then watercoloured with a few distress inks. The colours are listed below. The bird was floating in mid air so I drew a branch with a watercolour pencil then painted it with distress inks so he would have somewhere to perch. At this point I added a second area of masked blending to the background.

To finish off I stamped one of the sentiments from the same set in fallen leaves versafine clair ink. It just so happens that the CAS Christmas Card challenge this month is Christmas Critters so I am in!

Supplies

9 Comments on “Let Heaven and Nature Sing”

1. ellen quigley says:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful art, I have enjoyed it for years.

2. Stunning, lovely water coloring and I love the branch you drew in!

This is the perfect CAS card Heather with that fabulous Robin and the deceptively simple masking and ink blending in the background, and your branch really looks as though it came with the bird perched on it …beautifully hand drawn and watercoloured, a fabulous card! x

4. Bonnie says:

What a pretty bird and a lovely background, Heather! I love how this bird takes the stage!

5. just so beautiful – your colouring is amazing!

6. Karen Jackson says:

I love how clean and crisp this realistic Robin is, the cold air making him stand out in the clear sky. Your colouring is perfect.

7. BarbGhig says:

Absolutely gorgeous Christmas card, Heather! Your robin is watercolored beautifully and I love your hand-drawn branch…WOW! Thank you so much for playing along with us at CAS Christmas!

8. Loll says:

Beautiful card Heather. Your bird is gorgeous and really shows off in this amazing CAS design. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Christmas! xx

9. Nancy Littrell says:

Beautiful blended background for your sweet and Gorgeous watercolored bird, Heather. Love your hand drawn branch for your sweet birds perch. TFS my friend. Happy Holidays…Love and Hugs…Nancy