Classic motorcycle

Recently I posted a classic car card and both my brother and father responded that it was time for a classic motorcycle card. It is my dad’s birthday tomorrow so here is a motorcycle themed birthday card. Unfortunately it won’t arrive in his mail box anytime soon but we will chat via the interwebs. Happy Birthday, Dad!

To create the card I pulled out the distress oxide inks; I haven’t used them lately and had forgotten the cool effects I can get when I layer them. I started by smooshing three colours on my glass mat then spritzing them with water. The three inks were dusty concord, frayed burlap and fossilized amber. The dusty concord looks more pink than purple when it’s wet, the amber gives a nice bright pop of colour and the burlap is a neutral that works with both. Before I swiped my watercolour panel through the spritzed ink I had splattered some masking fluid on it and let that dry. The little white spots here and there on the finished card are the results of using masking fluid before adding any ink. I know they are a subtle effect but I like the contrast of a few white spots.

I ended up swiping the panel through the inks several times, letting it dry between swipes so the colours would layer rather than turn to mud. Once all the layering was finished I used the new Darkroom Door small brick wall stencil to blend some bricks over the panel with frayed burlap and fossilized amber inks. I stamped the motorcycle from DD ‘classic motorcycles’ set in versafine clair nocturne then added some collage numbers and letters using stamps from  DD ‘alphabet medley’ and ‘number medley’ sets in black soot and dusty concord oxide ink.

I stamped and embossed sentiments from both ‘happy birthday’ and ‘classic cars vol 1’ and die cut them so I could pop them up down the side of the card. The embossing powder is Ranger ‘weathered wood’ to fit with the slightly grungy style of the card.

I have no idea what kind of motorcycle this is but maybe my brother can fill me in on that. About six months ago he became a Harley owner; that’s him and his lovely wife out for their first ride on the new bike. It is certainly not his first bike so maybe he will recognise some distinctive feature of the one on my card.

Thank you for getting in touch on my last post about online church and hope at this time of isolation. I am happy to hear it was an encouragement to so many of you.

Supplies

13 Comments on “Classic motorcycle”

1. Lagene says:

WOW, awesome vintage motorcycle card, I love all the colors! I tried to connect with the Salt Community Church but couldn’t figure out how to see the service video. W did watch our own church service on their website, it was awesome!

2. ND says:

Good morning. Here in Australia it is a beautiful autumn (fall) morning and my birthday has already arrived. Thank you for the special greeting. I have a feeling the day is going to have a few delightful surprises. The celebration commenced with a Zoom greeting last evening with David and Fiona (also pictured above) and all their family, brought together on the screen.

By the way, It is a great card.. Technically, I think it ticks all the boxes. Well done, Heather and DD.

ND

3. Karen Jackson says:

A different, bold style of card today Heather.I love the colours and the tip about letting one layer of swiping dry before passing the card through again to keep the layers clean. Can’t help you with the motorcycle I am afraid, but I really like the sentiment. Having just had a birthday I think that is how I am going to describe myself from now on!

4. Clelie says:

Love your background work on this card! ♥ It seems to glow on the screen! Perfect masculine card!…and I know a few Gals who would love it, too! 😀 Happy Birthday, Heather’s Dad!

5. Patricia Rowe says:

Love the colors.
    Thank you.
    And thank you for the Easter message.
    Very uplifting and great reminders that our God is in control.
    Tish

• Heather says:

Thank you Tish, I was so happy with the colour combo in the end just wasn’t sure about them in the beginning. I find oxides combos often work where original distress might not.

Another gorgeous card and your Dad will love this with its beautiful bright background and the wonderful classic motorcycle and what a great mix of colours Heather. I am a little late but wishing your Dad a belated Happy Birthday and hope he had a great day. x

7. macarisms says:

Good looking bike. The card’s not bad either happy to order some! I am fairly confident that it is an image of a Triumph Bonneville, or Bonny. Our dog was named after this motorcycle. True story!

• Clelie says:

Thank you very much for the wonderful devotional that Heather sent with her posting. I am still ‘savoring’ that message! Our God is in Control…what a comforting and uplifting reality!