Butterfly on a Wall

Butterfly and wall Heather Telford

I sat and coloured with watercolour pencils the other night while watching Skyfall. I started with the butterfly stamped in Memento Angel Pink to give me a pale outline for colouring. Once the colouring and blending was finished I restamped the butterfly over the top, this time in Memento Grape Jelly. I wasn’t sure what to add as background so I painted a grey wash first then sketched a shadowy stem with leaves. It still wasn’t quite what I wanted so I added some bricks by masking the butterfly and stamping the brick wall stamp. Of course I splattered a bit of blue, orange and grey around too. I realize now that either the butterfly is huge or the bricks are way in the background.

The panel I had created was basically square so I decided to make a  larger than usual card for me. I added just one strip of orange then framed it with a purple cardbase.  Ardyth just reminded me the current Card Concept challenge is a butterfly one so I will link up there. I am not sure that this card fits neatly into a particular style but the closest is probably shabby chic & vintage.

Stamps:  Soft Wings,  SentimentalBrick Wall
Inks: Memento Grape Jelly, London Fog, Angel pink (Tsukineko)
Pencils: Albrecht Durer Blue Violet 137, True Blue 148, Medium Grey 197, Prussian Blue 151 Light Orange 113 (Faber-Castell)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Purple Mountain mix & match paper, Summer Sun mix & match paper (Penny Black)

16 Comments on “Butterfly on a Wall”

1. Ardyth says:

I will not even ask how you managed to tear your eyes away from Skyfall – I think that’s my favourite of all the Bond films! But wow! The intensity of the colour is just amazing! Love how you’ve got a very street-art (wall and butterfly) and vintage (sentiment) vibe working so well together! Love the little pops of orange, too! You could link this up to The Card Concept if you wanted to! We’d love to see you there!

2. FRAN M says:

Garbled message again

Sent from my iPad

3. Janine B says:

Stunning colours

4. Mary H says:

I’m always saying “Wow” when I see your cards. This one is a stunner. Love the way you did the butterfly, and the brick background looks very neat with the blue/purples of the butterfly. That narrow strip of orange made the bits of color in the butterfly really pop. Love it. TFS

5. Karen Petitt says:

Wow Heather, this is stunning, such beautiful stamping and colouring. And as Mary says too whenever I visit you ‘wow’ is invariably the first word out of my mouth. Thank you, as always, for the inspiration Karen x

6. Nonni says:

Stunning colors! As always, I love your artistic style.

7. judi44 says:

HEATHER, I always admire your Mastery of the use of color. You use it so freely, and beautifully. Thank you for sharing. You are such a good teacher and I love and respect your work.
    With Love Judi

8. sheryruss says:

That butterfly looks so gorgeous against the brick background, Heather! Love the contrast you created with the butterfly’s intense colors and the gray background. You. Are. Awesome! My favorite card-maker of all time! :o)

9. lesliekmiller says:

Maybe the bricks are tiny. I didn’t think about the proportion until you mentioned it. All I saw was a totally gorgeous butterfly with a fabulous brick wall background. It’s beautiful!

10. Gery says:

Wow, what a colour on my screen!!! Gorgeous!!!
    And I will keep my eyes focussed on the butterfly and not at the wall :-)) problem solved.
    Groetjes Gery

11. Susanne V says:

This card is so beautiful! Love the colors and the brick wall background!

12. Kay Miller says:

Wow! That is one gorgeous butterfly! I love love the deep purple color! So pretty! Thanks so much for joining us at The Card Concept! 🙂

13. Wow your water coloring is stunning! VERY pretty card! Thanks for joining us this week at The Card Concept 🙂

14. Donns says:

Beautiful! Question about the London Fog ink….mine has a greenish color, like sage. Its definitely not grey! Any thoughts on this?

15. stamplicious says:

What a beautiful card! I love this stunning butterfly and the effect you’ve created! Thanks for joining us at The Card Concept!

Wow, so pretty! Almost a little bit grunge — or as close as either of us get. 😉