Woodsy Winter

A winter scene for a winter birthday. Makes perfect sense especially when the recipient loves nature and spends as much time as possible enjoying the outdoors.

This card was a commission and I did plan it in my head before I began. I ended up making it twice, not because it didn’t work but because I smudged the black ink (final stamping step) before it dried! I started by blending the sky in evergreen bough and speckled egg distress ink then stamped background trees in speckled egg ink. There are three trees in the Woodsy set from Penny Black so I repeated them to fill the top of the panel then changed to iced spruce to stamp another line of trees further down and hickory smoke to stamp another line. Each colour was darker than the previous and the trees more prominent and forward in the design. Once all but the black trees were stamped I painted all their trunks just by blending the stamped ink. I used the same inks to paint shadowy dips at the base of the trees then when that was dry stamped the final foreground trees in black soot ink.

To finish I splattered white paint over the scene. The origin of this card goes way back to a card I made in 2012 using the famous Stampin Up set ‘lovely as a tree’.

Supplies

9 Comments on “Woodsy Winter”

1. Hi Heather Hope you Christmas was beautiful!Thank you so much for the gorgeous card, it is just perfect!I just got this stamp set!!!All the very best for 2022 and beyond!HugsDianne Sent from my Galaxy

2. Elizabeth Jones says:

Lovely, this and the 2012 one. That inspired me back then, and this is inspiring me now. I’ve learned most of what I know about stamping winter scenery from you. Love the misty look of depth. Thank you, Heather!

3. Chantal Quijada says:

Oh Heather this is absolutely gorgeous! Happy New year to you and yours!

I love this! One of your wonderful atmospheric scenes and perfect for the recipient who I’m sure will really adore it. I love the mix of colours you have chosen for the sky and then the three layers of trees getting stronger in colour towards the two foreground ones giving great dimension Heather, and the grey works beautifully for the shadowy background behind the trees and gives great depth for the snow around each tree. x

5. nancystiz says:

I LOVE the depth you achieved on this beautiful winter scene! It is like looking deep into the woods. As always I’m intrigued by your amazing color schemes. This is such a gorgeous card!

6. that’s so beautiful xx

7. Bonnie says:

The details of this are amazing, Heather! I love the depth of the drifts of snow and how the stand of trees has so much depth! I believe you had one happy customer!

8. Liane Cavanagh says:

Love this!

9. Loll says:

Amazing card Heather! LOVE the combination of evergreen bough and speckled egg for the sky … gorgeous together. The repeat tree stamping in different shades adds so much depth and dimension to the winter scene. LOVE it! Happy New Year! xx