Craft Roulette

I had the opportunity to participate in Craft Roulette on Friday night. If Craft Roulette is new to you (as it was to me until a month ago) it is a live crafting improv game show hosted by Mary Gunn every Friday night on Youtube. She has a different guest each week, sometimes more than one, and they craft together. Every week the parameters for the card are different as the wheel is spun four times, once for type of card, then colour choices, a theme and finally a random element.

I was delighted to see familiar names from this blog pop up in the live chat; thank you so much for joining in. Although I could not respond to all the chat I went back and read through it yesterday and was so encouraged by your kind words. I know some of you stayed up very late to watch!

The wheel was pretty kind on Friday night and none of the parameters took me too far out of my comfort zone. The card style was MATCHBOOK ( I needed a refresher on that), colours were RED +2, theme was MORNING and the random element was SPLATTERS! You know I love splatters.

I chose to create a background sunrise, add some red and green flowers (PB garden variety) then add splatters with water at the end. My three colours were red + green and yellow. The evening was very enjoyable; Mary is a hoot, the viewers on live chat were the loveliest and being live on the interwebs was not as daunting as expected. I might just attempt my own live creating on youtube from time to time.

As the challenge unfolds, viewers are encouraged to make a card following the same parameters. Some viewers watch and create as the show progresses but most make and post their cards after watching the show. Everyone has until Sunday evening to submit their creations. The cards are all shared during the show the following week. Contributors are entered into a few prize draws at the end of the show. So you see, Craft Roulette is a happening place, full of fun and inspiration and worth checking out on a Friday night. To see how I created this card you can watch the replay here.

Supplies

(Compensated affiliate links used when possible)

10 Comments on “Craft Roulette”

1. Patricia Rowe says:

What an amazing idea, especially for procrastinators like me who do more thinking than doing. Sounds like it puts one on the spot to actually complete it, too.
    Hmmm. Do you think someone got fed up with covid lockdowns and said Let’s encourage each other NOW.
    Well, I love your card. I need to make my weekly card to my brother in law, surviving pancreatic cancer by God’s miracle, so this card seems quick enough to do.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Of course, I am also enjoying your online class.
    Tish Rowe

2. Chrystal Lewis says:

What a great show. I like the cards you both made. I have book marked the show to watch more regularily.

________________________________

I enjoyed the show and Mary is a great host and certainly makes it a lively couple of hours, and your card was beautifully done as can be seen above, and Mary’s was very pretty too. I did say hello at the start but didn’t get around to saying anything else but it was lovely to see you live Heather and you were great! I unfortunately missed the very end as our son came through from Australia and by the time I finished talking to him you had said goodbye. I am by nature a night owl and am regularly around into the night so it was fine for me.

4. Bonnie says:

Sounds stressful but fun! Looks like you did a great job, Heather! A beautiful card!

5. Loll says:

Hi Heather. I had added a reminder about your Craft Roulette date, but somehow missed it I just went and watched the video. You did AMAZING work as always! LOVE your card and how you used the parameters. Congrats on your first live video experience – you nailed it! xx

6. Clelie says:

Hi Heather…I could not watch the Live Show but caught it after the fact. LOVED your card! It is gorgeous! I would have been very nervous but you did GREAT!☺

7. nancystiz says:

I enjoyed watching you do this! What a great job you did in such a short time. The card turned out just gorgeous! Love seeing you live!

8. Karen Jackson says:

Your appearance on Craft Roulette was a joy to watch Heather and it is lovely to be able to see your card in close up on your blog.You did so well. It was great to see you create live and you were not distracted at all by Mary’s constant chatter.Brilliant!

9. marygunnFUNN says:

Heather was a wonderful guest and her talent shone brilliantly. It is so nice to read your thoughts, and the kind words of your “tribe”. Thank you ever so much for a lovely evening and your inspiration.