Captivating

This gorgeous stamp from Penny Black is called captivating; it’s a single large stamp which fills a card front and lives up to its name. Before painting I did a quick search on my phone and used a reference photo as inspiration. Fuchsias can be a single colour or two toned; I chose pink and white using Peerless watercolours and a few no-line watercolour techniques.

Peerless watercolour paints blend beautifully; they actually advertise as ‘self blending’ so the soft transitions from dark to light on the leaves and petals shine with this kind of paint. After stamping in papertrey soft stone ink I used a couple of greens for the leaves and a single red for the lower petals which I diluted as I blended to add depth and variation. The upper petals have a little yellow, green and pink but not much as I wanted them to appear white.

I posted yesterday about my new online class Floral Faves. I use the Captivating stamp in the no-line watercolour lesson covering the process from beginning to end. There’s a giveaway open for a place in the class, pop over to this post to enter.

Supplies

(Compensated affiliate links used when possible)

10 Comments on “Captivating”

1. Bonnie says:

This is very captivating, Heather! So beautifully colored!

2. Jo Ann Fannon says:

Hi Heather, such a pretty card. Can you tell me the stamp set the sentiment is from? Thanks, Jo Ann

• Heather says:

Hi Jo Ann, I’m glad you asked as I hadn’t realised it was left off the list. It is from the ‘Better with Age’ set from Penny Black.

3. Liz Chartrand says:

Beautiful!
    Liz

Sent from my iPhone

4. Christine Holdsworth says:

I have been following you for many years and never cease to be amazed at your art. Your classes are wonderful because they are so well explained. One of my favourite flower stamps is Hero Arts Protea.

The watercolouring is fabulous Heather and love the Peerless watercolour sheets with these rich colours, and the fuchsia stamp is gorgeous. I love the way you have incorporated a touch of yellow and green into the white parts of the flowers. x

6. nancystiz says:

I would never have guessed this is watercolor if I didn’t know it was yours. It’s so perfectly done it appears to be a print! Wow, that’s unreal and so beautiful. The blending could not be done any better. Incredible work!

7. wow that is gorgeous!!

8. Karen Jackson says:

Heather this card is so beautiful, your watercolouring has a photographic quality. It is perfect, so light and a joy to look at.

9. Loll says:

Beautifully coloured image, Heather. The colours are gorgeous. I have some peerless paints and find them to be very clean colours (if that makes sense. xx