Christmas Bister

Christmas Bister Heather Telford

I know it is odd for me to throw a Christmas card up on the blog in June but I had to pair the green and blue bister powders with the beautiful ‘Before the Snow’ tree stamp. After watching the way the bister powders reacted in water I wanted to see if I could stamp an image with water then drop some powder onto the watery image. It took a bit of fiddling around, several re-stampings and a paintbrush for some extra shaping but my experiment did work and I will keep playing with the technique.

I had splattered my watercolour panel with masking fluid in advance so I would have flecks of snow. The powders created pretty blues and greens that I was not able to match with one ink pad so I stamped my sentiment twice first in green then in blue and ended up with a suitable match.

Don’t worry I’m not switching to winter stamping; I’ll be back with bright summery images soon!

Stamps:  Before the SnowSeason’s Wishes (PB)
Inks:  Versafine Majestic Blue & Spanish Moss  (Tsukineko) Blue and Green bister powders
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper & Green card
Also: Winsor & Newton Masking Fluid

22 Comments on “Christmas Bister”

1. Vicki B says:

It turned out beautifully! I have a similar product called Color Burst which does the same thing but I wouldn’t have thought to try that. I love what you die!

2. Cath says:

Gorgeous. Loving all your bister projects. Fun to see what new ideas you have each post.

3. Jan Castle says:

STUNNING….CAN’T WAIT TO SEE WHAT ELSE YOU DO WITH THIS TECHNIQUE! BEAUTIFUL
    PAPER HUGS,
    JAN

4. totally awesome Heather – you consistently amaze me! Now – the video tutorials for us “wanna be’s” anytime soon?

5. Mary Zanin says:

Just gorgeous, Heather. Thanks! Mari Zanin

6. craftytreen says:

wow! this gets better and better. as soon as you get this totally figured out, let us know… lol I do love it and will order some after my craft room Is put back in order. thanks so much

7. Gabby says:

Wonderful ink/bisters effect. Great design, colors and card, Heather! 🙂

8. Micheline Jourdain says:

I love love love it!

This is beautiful Heather and I can see why people get hooked on these Bister powder paints as each colour creates more than one tone and it has worked wonderfully on these trees. x

10. Liz in NH says:

Wow! You got there fast! I tried stamping with water once, but didn’t get your gorgeous effect, so I’ll get back to this technique now. Thank many times over, Heather, for all the inspiration!

11. Joan B says:

your work is always fabulous. this is no exception

12. Deb Fortin says:

where does one purchase Bister in Canada , I’ve never heard of it before, but what You do with it is so amazing I want to try this product .

• Lesley S. says:

I don’t think you can get them yet in Canada (where I also live). I bought mine online from a company called “I Brake for Stamps” in the USA.

13. Bette Lou says:

Absolutely stunning! Love the effect of blister and ink!

14. Micheline Jourdain says:

I look again and again… and again… SO BEAUTIFUL!

15. Gery says:

Realy gorgeous, Heather!
    Groetjes Gery

The summer we’re having so far? I’m thinking of making some Christmas cards myself. 😉 Your Bister experiment worked really well! Gorgeous colours.

17. theartfuldoodler says:

Heather, your cards are amazing! I love the way you’re using the Bisters, etc. I have all three products and use your cards as inspirations.

18. Lesley S. says:

This card is lovely, and remarkable that you could achieve this kind of result from the Bister so quickly. I really wish you’d do a video showing how you did this!

19. Dawn W says:

I agree!! Breath taking.. I love watercolor and stamping!❤️ I don’t have the talent for the brush I wish for .. So I use the stamps & inks for my voice. You have beautifully done what I hope to manage some day. If you ever do a video please let me know!

20. Sherry says:

This card is absolutely beautiful. I’m not sure what bister is, but I’m going to find out. Thanks for sharing your awesome work.