The Cool One

The cool one Heather Telford

You wouldn’t believe how long this “simple” card took me! It all started because I had a piece of watercoloured paper all sparkly and blue which wasn’t working in the way I needed it to for a project I no longer remember. I couldn’t let that pretty sparkly blue panel go to waste so I stamped something on it in black, again can’t remember what. That didn’t work either but I wasn’t prepared to throw the sparkly blue away so I die cut as many balloons as I could without getting black stamping on them. Most that I cut ended up with a little stamping so I tried 3021 different arrangements where one balloon would overlap another to cover little bits of black ink. Finally I realized I was going round in circles so instead I cut balloons out of plain but co-ordinating colours and decided on the design above. It took me three attempts to get the above card made without inky fingerprints and failed inlaid diecuts. Even this one is a little unbalanced; the balloons should be higher.

I like the sentiment and of course the sparkly blue that started it all.

Stamps:  Amazing (PB)
Creative Dies: Uplifting (PB)
Inks: Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko) Chipped Sapphire, Tumbled Glass,  Broken China Distress Stains (Ranger)
Cardstock:  Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Periwinkle & Clear Skies Mix & Match Papers (PB)
Also: Pearl Ex

16 Comments on “The Cool One”

1. Way to save the “cool” one 🙂

2. KatieP says:

Such soft lovely colors. Very pretty card.

3. nise says:

Ha Ha! So happy to read that I am not alone and you struggle with your COOL cards on occasion, too. This is really neat — especially that sentiment and the sparkly balloon. Well done and worth all your efforts.

4. Denise says:

Hi Heather, made me smile, this lovely card looks “simple” enough, but as we crafters all find, often just ‘playing’ and trying to ‘save’ something can take longer than we initially thought!

Love the very effective colours and design – lovely card. Hugs Denise (UK) x

5. Rufus says:

It’s so nice to know that these sorts of things happen to you, too. Your cards are always so pretty (as is this one!) that it’s nice to know that “accidents” happen.
    R/

6. jmhave44 says:

Heather, you & Becca Feeken have made my day, with relating your designing troubles. (sorry, I know that must sound odd!). I worked with a card, that I had spent time coloring the image &, that part looked ok I thought. But then everything else I did trying to make a card with the image was a disaster! Your balloons are really pretty with the blues and I really liked the middle one too. The balloons did not appear to be placed too high to my eyes, (But then you’re the designer!). I think the card is just lovely & —-Cool! TFS & thanks for also sharing your story. Hugs

7. before I even read about this card, I was immediately drawn to that sparkly blue balloon. I am glad you didn’t give up — it’s a beautiful card!

As another sometimes *simple* cardmaker, I can completely understand that a card this deceptively simple can have been, um, challenging. 😉 Thank goodness the end product is so pretty! That sparky blue is definitely worth the save.

9. Mary says:

Right now I’m working on a card i have started over on three times. I was so heartened by your story. I didn’t think you had problems like this. It’s a great card and a great story.

10. Helen J says:

Like many crafters, I’m pleased that you shared your story as we all think we’re the only ones who have those kinds of problems, and it’s reassuring to know the professionals do, too!
    Well worth the effort, I love the finished card.

11. Gabby says:

From the troubled sparkly blue it started with, the finger prints and all, this card turned out TERRIFIC! I love the sentiment and the “troubled” sparkly blue balloon is perfect for this card. 🙂

12. swldebbie says:

I like it, even if it isn’t perfectly centered vertically — I didn’t really think about it till you said something. I am convinced that great CAS cards should never be confused with “quick to make” cards — they rarely are. As for the “10 minute card” — I’m pretty sure it, too, is a myth.

13. Janet Castle says:

All swell that ends well….great card…the balloons are on the rise!
    Jan

14. Natalie H says:

What a great way to use up scraps, too! Your card is simply adorable!

15. elscoast says:

Would love to see the technique you used to get the metallic look. Linda

16. judi44 says:

I think one lesson we all have to learn over and over again is that ” SIMPLE” is not always EASY.
    Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Your card is Fantastic for such a “SIMPLE” card.
    With Love Judi