It’s how you look at it

side-branches-heather-telford

I have three similar cards to share today with only slight differences in technique and layout. My initial plan was to have the branch on each card pointing in a different direction but I ended up with two upward facing. I would have peeled it off and turned it around but lately, in the interests of not having my cards fall apart when handled, I have started attaching watercolour paper with  sookwang tape on one side and regular adhesive on the other sides. Once you press that sookwang tape down you cannot pull it back up again. The card looked fine as it was so I left it that way. You can see in the card above I have the branches going side ways and below I have them reaching upwards.

snowy-branches-heather-telford

On all three cards the branches are embossed. I used the misti to stamp first in versamark ink then moved the panel down a millimetre and stamped again but in versafine onyx black. I embossed in clear powder which covered the black branch and the versamark just above the branch. It’s a technique I have been using for years to get a little layer of snow on trees and branches but the misti does make it a whole lot easier. On some of the panels it looks like a layer of snow, on others it looks like the light of the moon.

-snowy-branches-closeup

The blues and purples on the middle card were painted in distress stain. On the other two cards I used Colorburst powders.

moonlit-branches-heather-telford

There are a few other subtle differences. I splattered masking fluid before embossing on the top panel, after embossing on the middle panel and not at all on bottom panel. Embossing powder sticks to masking fluid so it really is better to sprinkle it after embossing but it still ended up working the other way. The moon was masked with a frisket film circle.

Next time you are stamping something twiggy or branchy, even flowery, try turning it 90° and see what you think.

Supplies

Stamps: Prancers, Berry Bevy (PB)
Ink: Versafine onyx black ink, versamark (Tsukineko) chipped sapphire, salty ocean, seedless preserves distress stain(Ranger)
Paper: hot pressed watercolour paper, Neenah solar white paper
Paint: Indigo, Merlot, Crimson Colorburst powder
Also: Daler Rowney masking fluid, Grafix frisket film, WOW clear embossing powder


Pink Berries

Pink joy Heather Telford

I usually end up with at least a couple of pink Christmas cards along with all the blue and green ones I make. What is your favourite colour combo for Christmas cards?

I began this card by splattering some drops of masking fluid on cold pressed watercolour paper. I am using more cold pressed these days to add a little texture to designs. Once the masking fluid was dry I wet the panel and stamped the ‘berry bevy’ stamp onto the panel in spun sugar and worn lipstick distress stains. The stain spread out to give me the background colour. I inked the stamp with both brown and burgandy for the branches and berries and spritzed to make the ink bleed in a few places. I used a paintbrush and some micro pearl powder mixed with burgandy ink to fill in the berries so some of them have a little shimmer. To finish off the card I found a matching piece of cardstock, cut a mat and a sentiment and added silver cord as the final touch.

Thanks for dropping by today.

Supplies:

Stamps:  Berry Bevy (PB)
Dies: World of wishes (PB)
Inks: Worn Lipstick, Spun Sugar distress stains (Ranger) Espresso Truffle, Rhubarb Stalk Memento markers (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Burgandy textured cardstock
Also: silver cord, masking fluid, micro pearl powder