It’s how you look at it

side-branches-heather-telford

I have three similar cards to share today with only slight differences in technique and layout. My initial plan was to have the branch on each card pointing in a different direction but I ended up with two upward facing. I would have peeled it off and turned it around but lately, in the interests of not having my cards fall apart when handled, I have started attaching watercolour paper with  sookwang tape on one side and regular adhesive on the other sides. Once you press that sookwang tape down you cannot pull it back up again. The card looked fine as it was so I left it that way. You can see in the card above I have the branches going side ways and below I have them reaching upwards.

snowy-branches-heather-telford

On all three cards the branches are embossed. I used the misti to stamp first in versamark ink then moved the panel down a millimetre and stamped again but in versafine onyx black. I embossed in clear powder which covered the black branch and the versamark just above the branch. It’s a technique I have been using for years to get a little layer of snow on trees and branches but the misti does make it a whole lot easier. On some of the panels it looks like a layer of snow, on others it looks like the light of the moon.

-snowy-branches-closeup

The blues and purples on the middle card were painted in distress stain. On the other two cards I used Colorburst powders.

moonlit-branches-heather-telford

There are a few other subtle differences. I splattered masking fluid before embossing on the top panel, after embossing on the middle panel and not at all on bottom panel. Embossing powder sticks to masking fluid so it really is better to sprinkle it after embossing but it still ended up working the other way. The moon was masked with a frisket film circle.

Next time you are stamping something twiggy or branchy, even flowery, try turning it 90° and see what you think.

Supplies

Stamps: Prancers, Berry Bevy (PB)
Ink: Versafine onyx black ink, versamark (Tsukineko) chipped sapphire, salty ocean, seedless preserves distress stain(Ranger)
Paper: hot pressed watercolour paper, Neenah solar white paper
Paint: Indigo, Merlot, Crimson Colorburst powder
Also: Daler Rowney masking fluid, Grafix frisket film, WOW clear embossing powder

16 Comments on “It’s how you look at it”

1. cmt says:

I love the branches either way. Every detail of your cards is beautiful. Thanks for all the tips. Really inspiring.

2. 3kidmama says:

I rarely comment, but just want you to know I ADORE your work! It’s just so natural feeling a beautiful. No one does watercolor and stamps on a card like you do. Your happy accident of moving these branches around is another fun tip! I’m here thinking through the branch stamps in my stash and realizing that nearly every one of them would be able to be used like this. Thanks for helping me think outside my traditional box yet again! Have a wonderful wknd!

• Heather says:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me such a lovely note. I’m glad you are inspired; hope you have fun turning things on their side, or even upside down!

3. CM Taylor says:

Thank you Heather for all the details of your art work. The difference in the 3 pieces is just unique enough to make each a special art piece to stand alone. Thank you for sharing all the details that work and the sequencing that makes a difference if we are trying to CASE your art.

4. Clelie says:

Wow!…each one is so beautiful. Something about the last one takes my breath away! Gorgeous!

5. creatingincolors says:

Oh my, all three cards are gorgeous! Thanks for your tip on the adhesive too. I like to ensure my handmade cards will hold together through mailing and handling.

6. Shauna says:

Such beautiful colors and detail. I love them!

7. Susieq says:

All your cards are works of art. I am awestruck everyday with your creations. Thank you for sharing. (I don’t comment very often either, not even for the give always.).

8. Cindy Jones says:

LOVE THEM! Wow, the colors are perfect. Stains, you say? huh, think I may need to try them!

9. myrna sweet says:

This is soooo cool. Thank you for sharing your technique. I would never have imagined to use the clear then black ink with clear embossing powder. Brilliant!

10. Maria Daubert says:

Beautiful! Thank you for the great technique!

Three beautiful versions using the same stamps Heather and each one is just that bit different. It shows you don’t need lots of stamps to make fabulous and unique cards. I must look through mine to see which would work turned around. Have a lovely weekend. x

12. Em says:

That first card is just perfect as far as I am concerned. Wish I had made it. The icy-snowy look on the branches makes me remember winter again from the desert where I now live. Thank you.

13. wendy0322 says:

WOW! The moon really glows! Striking cards with those bold colors!

14. Liz in NH says:

On the first card the highlights from the moon shine on the sides of the branches facing the moon, from above to below. That’s some classy stamping, Madam! Beautiful!