Sweet perfume

This panel is another I coloured while away in Toronto. I took my watercolour pencils, some brushes and several stamped panels, some embossed others just stamped in light colours to paint over. I did a ton of walking and exploring while there but also met up with my daughter in coffee shops during the day as she was working on a thesis most of the time. She sat at her laptop, I painted for a while, drunk some tea then headed out exploring again.

I have already posted a card featuring this image stamped on black cardstock. This one was not stamped on black; it was embossed on hot pressed watercolour paper. I did all the painting with my watercolour pencils filling the flowers with pinks and purples and the leaves with a few shades of green. When I had finished there were a few spaces between flowers with no colour at all. I decided to paint them black. It really did not look very good but I packed it away and moved onto something else. When I came home and took some time to turn my panels into cards I trimmed this one back so the flowers were cropped on all sides then tried several coloured mats to frame it. The black card base ended up being the best option. Those few little black sections on the coloured panel tied in with the card base nicely. I also tried a few sentiments but ended up going without. On the inside I have glued a pale pink panel to write on.

Thanks for dropping by; I’ll be back with my next distress oxide trial tomorrow, I think it is my favourite so far.

Stamps: Sweet Perfume (PB)
Pencils: Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils (Faber Castell)
Ink: Versamark ink
Paper: hot pressed watercolour paper, Neenah Epic black cardstock
Also: gold embossing powders, gold organza ribbon

19 Comments on “Sweet perfume”

1. Sherry says:

spectacular! so elegant! Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Jan Castle says:

Oh soooooo PRETTY Heather! Amazing what can be done with just a few supplies!!!!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

• creatingincolors says:

You make an excellent point, Jan. Sometimes we get carried away buying supplies we think we need. “Less is more” 🙂

3. creatingincolors says:

Oh my goodness, this is awesome! I love the colors on black.

4. Karen Jackson says:

Absolutely gorgeous, Heather.

5. Carol Fraley says:

I love this card! I have had problems in the past with using the dark card and stamping something on the inside that is readable and nice looking. Any suggestion?

• Heather says:

Hi Carol,
      I’m pleased to hear you like this card. I found a piece of pink paper that co-ordinates with the pink petals and stuck that on the inside of the card. It is pale and easy to write or stamp on.

6. Clelie says:

If this “did not look very good” after painting it, then you made a wonderful, beautiful ‘SAVE’ out of it. Your watercolouring is lovely. One of my favorite parts (if my screen is representing the color correctly) is the gray-toned leaves! They set the pinks off perfectly! ♥

• Heather says:

The part that didn’t look good was the black I had added in just a few blank spaces. I regretted painting it. Once I backed it with black cardstock it was looked ‘right’ after all.

7. Helen Jones says:

Wow, just stunning!

8. This is absolutely gorgeous, Heather. I wish I had a fraction of the talent you have. This is just the prettiest card to look at. I will study it hard when I get that stamp so I can try to color it the way you did with the lights and darks in certain spots. I’m not a big stamper at all; PB stamps are the only ones I buy because you have such good tutorials and inspirational pieces.

9. Linda Rodgers says:

OMgosh, this is wondrously beautiful. I love the gold embossing against the black, your skilled watercolouring, and the bits of black to set off the colours.

This is stunning Heather and the gold embossing and the black card showcases those beautiful colours perfectly. x

11. D. Wisnicki says:

This is gorgeous Heather!

Donna

Sent from my iPad

12. lollthompson says:

WOW … this is STRIKING, Heather!! Love the colours you’ve gotten from w/c pencils. Gorgeous shading and the black spots with the black base tie everything together perfectly. Love the sheer gold knotted ribbon embellishment. Perfection! xx

13. AJ says:

This is gorgeous. Love the colors and black mat to make it pop even more..

Wow, like cloisonné!

15. Gorgeous, the coloring is just beautiful, and like the gold embossing!