A Moment in Time

dsc_4571-moment-in-time-s

So far this week I have shared three new brushstroke stamps from Penny Black and three different techniques for ‘painting’ with them. I say painting because that really is what I do with brushstroke stamps; I choose a water soluble medium and apply colour in such a way as to create the look of watercolour painting. Today’s card was done using my ‘stamping with water’ technique. I put the pretty, new stamp, A Moment in Time, in my MISTI and painted water on it. As I applied the water with a paint brush I noticed it was beading rather than spreading over the rubber. I realised it was a brand new stamp and needed a little bit of prepping before I used it. I don’t always do this because sometimes the first coat of ink will do the prep for me. I keep a piece of fine sandpaper on hand (it is very fine and has been used many times so it does not damage the stamp at all) to rub gently across the surface of the rubber, then I simply clean with some stamp cleaner. Another way to prep the surface is to use an eraser to rub all over the stamp before cleaning with stamp cleaning solution.

dsc_4572-moment-in-time-s

Once I had prepped the surface of the stamp I was able to coat it with water and stamp it on a piece of hot pressed watercolour paper. I could see the watery poppy image on my panel so it was simple to sprinkle brusho powder in the right place, gamboge over the flower head and leaf green over the stem. I watched and waited as the brusho activated then added more water to the stamp and stamped again. I moved my panel so I could stamp another poppy and followed the same procedure. Once the brusho powder stopped reacting I dried the panel with a heat tool, tapped off excess brusho powder and used a paint brush to fill in a few petals. I added a leaf using the same technique then a few droplets of water in the centre of the poppies and some black brusho where I had made it damp. I dried the whole panel before creating a sky by sprinkling some turquoise brusho then spritzing it. I wanted to protect the poppies from coming in contact with too much water so I painted water around the edges then pulled the turquoise colour into the water keeping some areas light while letting others be more intense.

dsc_4573-close-up-moment-in-time-s

I finished the card off with the ‘wonderful’ die cut and some handlettering to complete my sentiment. I have received some lovely comments in the last week or so and I want you to know how much I appreciate them. I have read the requests for videos also and hope to get onto some as soon as my class prep is up to date. Thank you for visiting, commenting and making my day!

Supplies

Stamps: A moment in time (PB)
Pens: Fudenosuke brush pen hard tip (Tombow)
Paint: gamboge, leaf green, black & turquoise brusho (Colourcraft)
Die: Awesome (PB)
Paper: hot pressed watercolour paper (Fabriano) orange cardstock, neenah natural white cardstock

13 Comments on “A Moment in Time”

1. theartfuldoodler says:

Your work is always so beautiful! I really have to get some PB brushstroke stamps!

The Brushos are such beautiful bright and summery colours Heather and this Peony is so so pretty, and I love the combination of die cut and script for the sentiment. A fabulous card! x

3. Cheryl from Seattle says:

This is simply beautiful I am going to try my hand at this as I just purchased some Brushos. You inspire me with your creativity and I keep nearly all your posts because your techniques are so beautiful and get me out of my box of the very basic use of stamps. So, thank you!

4. memalagene says:

BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the instructions!

5. Heather, your work is always so gorgeous and inspiring. I’ve never even attempted watercoloring until seeing your work. Thank you for the detailed instructions which are very easy to follow. I still haven’t used Brushos yet but I need to give them a try after seeing your beautiful card today. I love the colors you used. This has to be my favorite PB card!

6. Karen O'Byrne says:

I love all your watercolour techniques with these beautiful brushstroke stamps. I have a few and will try some if not all your techniques. Yours of course turn out beautifully. I can only hope…

7. Marti_L says:

I look forward to seeing all of your creations as everyone is just so beautiful. And, I appreciate your instructions, they are very clear. Thanks, Heather!

8. Heidi says:

Beautiful! Such a springy feel!

9. cmtaylor says:

wonderful layout and design. Great color choices.

I really like the speckles of colour in the poppies! The magic of watercolour powders in a skilled hand.

11. maureenchandler says:

This is lovely and I’m inspired by your work. Thank you for sharing your different techniques as well and I’d love to see a video when you have time!!!

12. Heather Harrison says:

This so lovely. I’ve never used brusho so it’s something to think about. Waiting for this lovely stamp in the post soon. Thank you for sharing. From a fan in N.Ireland.x