Birch and Brusho

birch and brusho Heather Telford

The tree stamp I have to share with you today is not technically a ‘tree’, it’s really a pair of trunks but it is oh, so versatile when creating trees for landscape scenes. I stamped it multiple times on this panel but you could just as easily stamp a single tree, a bent tree, or even some logs lying on the ground.

Before stamping I splattered a piece of watercolour paper with masking fluid, cut a hill shaped mask out of a post-it note and positioned it at the bottom of the panel. I stamped birch trees across the panel in versafine onyx black ink which is waterproof. To mask the trunks I painted masking fluid over all the trunks and let it dry. The next steps I did over a long period of time, not because I had to but because I wanted to let it dry naturally each time I added colour. With the trees and the ground masked I sprinkled a little leaf green and yellow brusho over the panel, spritzed it and let it dry. Later I came back and did it again but added some gamboge to the mix. I did this several times, always letting it dry in between. This allowed me to create patches of colour rather than the one big blend of green, orange and yellow I would have created if I had done it in one go.

fall birch trees Heather Telford

After all the panel dried I removed the masking fluid from the trees and added some brusho to the ground area. While it was still wet from spritzing I added a couple of grassy stamps with memento inks. The grasses blended into the damp paper. I waited until it was almost dry then stamped the same grasses again resulting in a bit more definition. To finish the scene I used some pigma micron pens to add thin twiggy branches between the trunks. Finally I removed the splattered masking fluid.

I wanted to add the sentiment without adding another layer but the colour of the grassy area was too dark. To lighten it I punched an oval out of frisket film then positioned the aperture piece over the watercolour panel so I could remove paint with a damp brush and a paper towel. The result was a lighter oval patch where I could stamp the one word sentiment in black.

fall birch closeup Heather Telford

The two birch trunks in the Nature’s Silhouette set are going to be so handy for adding birch trees to cards for any season. I’ve already tried it on a winter scene which I will share another day.

Stamps:  Woodland BeautyNature’s Silhouettes, Grateful, Nature’s gifts (PB)
Paints:  Leaf green, yellow & gamboge Brusho powders (Colourcraft)
Inks:  Potter’s Clay, Cottage Ivy Memento ink (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Moulin du Roy 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: masking fluid

15 Comments on “Birch and Brusho”

The birch tree trunks stand out beautifully against the pretty Brusho background Heather. x

2. Shauna says:

You’re always so talented with Brusho or Color Bursts!

3. creatingincolors says:

I have to agree with the previous poster. You get such good results with Brusho! It seems you have total control of those powders that an so easily go crazy!

4. I love the way you did this card… So beautiful!

5. Liz in NH says:

Just love this. I must learn patience to let layers dry! Thank you, Heather.

6. Georgia says:

Gorgeous card !!

7. Mary Miller says:

Heather-you are an amazing talent. I enjoy your blog so much. Thank you for sharing.

I had no idea you could direct Brushos in that way. Well, you can. 😉 This is amazing!

9. bonnielynnh says:

Such a perfect fall card! as usual, you have created a beautiful scene

10. Daria says:

So beautiful! Thank you for the details and tips you shared.

11. This is another stunner from you, how do you keep coming up with fantastic ideas. Thank you for sharing your ideas and techniques. Such a beautiful card.
    Love Alli Xx

12. MAGGIE says:

Beautiful!

13. Christine says:

Hello Heather – you mentioned Frisket Film – do you know whether we can get this in Australia? I live in Perth. I love how your cards turn out.

Christine

• Heather says:

I’m in Australia right now Christine. I just checked the Eckersley’s website and it looks like they have a few options for frisket. You will need to test it on your paper to make sure it doesn’t tear the paper but it is designed to be removed. Hope you have success finding it.