A day of woodland beauty

woodland beauty day Heather Telford

As this tree is one of my favourite stamps from the new Christmas release I decided to create a day scene and a night scene as part of my ‘Top Three’ feature on the Penny Black blog this week. For the night scene I painted the sky before stamping the tree, on this panel I did the opposite.

I began as I often do by splattering some masking fluid on a piece of hot pressed watercolour paper.  I did some partial stamping with the tree stamp so I could make the base of each tree look like it was stuck in a snow bank. To do partial stamping or ‘faux masking’ I ink the stamp then remove some of the ink with a wet wipe, in this case I removed the base of the tree so no trunk showed and the bottom edge was a little different each time I stamped it. I chose memento northern pine ink again because the colour separates when I spritz a little water over it (which I did each time before stamping).

woodland beauty by day Heather Telford

I let the trees dry then painted the sky in three blue stains blending and removing colour to make it look like there were clouds. I used a small round watercolour brush and painted right up to and sometimes over the edge of the branches so there would be some blending of colour as well as some white spaces which end up looking a bit like snow.

woodland beauty day closeup Heather Telford

Once all the sky was dry I stamped a single tree in the foreground and made it darker by re-stamping in the same colour. I painted a snow bank either side of the foreground tree with stain then added some shadows at the base of the trees using diluted northern pine ink as my paint. To finish I removed the masking fluid, added a sentiment in brown then popped it up on a cream card base.

If you didn’t catch my night time scene with this stamp, you can find it here along with a video tutorial.

Supplies

Stamps: Woodland beauty, Nature’s Silhouettes (PB)
Ink: memento northern pine (Tsukineko) tumbled glass, broken china, salty ocean distress stain(Ranger)
Paper: hot pressed Fabriano watercolour paper
Also: Daler Rowney masking fluid

10 Comments on “A day of woodland beauty”

1. barbcccc says:

Love your watercolor techniques, Heather! The daytime trees are just beautiful!

2. creatingincolors says:

Your watercoloring never fails to please. Beautiful.

3. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

You are the master of woodland snow scenes. Thank you for all of the new tips.

I adore this daytime version too Heather and love the pretty clouds in that blue sky and the little touches of sun reflecting in the snow too. x

This is beautiful, too!

6. Sherry says:

This card is a work of art! Gorgeous!

7. Ingrid says:

Gorgeous card Heather! I can’t wait to get my hands on this one. I actually gasped out loud when I saw it in the initial release. I HAVE to have it. 🙂 🙂

8. I love your colours, its making me feel chilly just looking at this card. An amazing work of art.
    Love Alli Xx

9. Theresa Petermann says:

Heather, I didn’t think I wanted a misti tool but as I kept watching what you and Jennifer McGuire have done with the tool, I finally broke down and got one . I do no like cutsy and my only grand child will be 18 in December so my days of kid stuff are pretty much done. But I do send out a lot of friendship/encouragement cards each month. So my tool arrived on Saturday and I probably stamped 50 things already. Right now I am working on a book with a story using stamped and colored images as illustrations (I can’t draw worth a darn) just for my own enjoyment. I love your scenic Penny Black cards and I always seem to learn something I can use in my own work. I will keep watching and hopefully learning from what you share. thanks as always.