Poppy Pattern Party

peach poppy panel Heather Telford

It’s the poppy pattern stamp’s turn to be featured today. I have a variety of colour schemes but only two mediums. The most subdued version is the one above done with forest moss, worn lipstick and scattered straw distress stains plus a black marker to add definition to the poppy centres once the stains had dried a little. I used a MISTI to add colours one at a time.

Poppy pattern party Heather Telford

The remaining cards were all done with colour burst powders dropped onto water stamping. You lose a lot of definition with this technique but you achieve some gorgeous bold colours and in some cases some magical blending. Above I used phthalo green, lemon yellow and merlot (I think). Below it was probably alizarin crimson.

Poppy bursts Heather Telford

The bright purple panel below was the one section I saved from the large stamped image. I stamped it with water but when I went to sprinkle violet colorburst powder I got a little more than I bargained for.  I let it dry, then chose one section to touch up, trim and turn into a card.

Purple Poppy pattern Heather Telford

Stamps: Poppy Pattern, Special Wishes, Friendship, Sentiment Collection (PB)
Dies: Deco Frame (PB)
Mediums:  Versafine onyx black (Tsukineko) distress stains (Ranger) Colorburst powders (Ken Oliver)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot & cold pressed watercolour paper, Neenah Epic Black cardstock

14 Comments on “Poppy Pattern Party”

1. Beautiful cards I just love your techniques! With the color burst powder, do you spritz the water onto the stamp, stamp it on paper then add the powder on the paper?

2. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

Wow! Among your best cards ever, in my opinion. I’m tempted to come to Ottawa for a class so your techniques can rub off on me, but it’s a long way off. 😊 Just beautiful. And it’s the kind of art I like to do. Thanks so much.

3. Liz Maitland says:

These are lovely, Heather! And all so different, yet beautiful!!
    Gorgeous work,

Liz M x

4. stonevab says:

Beautiful cards . Can you explain what — stamped with water means ????

• Heather says:

I either spritz the stamp with water or paint it on lightly with a paintbrush then stamp it on watercolour paper. I then lightly sprinkle watercolour powder over the stamped image and it reacts with the water giving me a loose but pretty blended image. Once it is dry I shake off the excess powder. Messy but fun!

What fabulous cards using this poppy stamp Heather and I really love that first one with the very soft colouring, but on the other hand that third one with the purple looks wonderful too, just so bright and zingy. x

6. Laura Jane says:

You always seem to remind me to Cherish that Poppy Pattern stamp. Your cards truly show how versatile it is!!

7. Jan Castle says:

Each card is a jewel….what wonderful colors!!!! Thanks so much for sharing Heather – you always inspire me to try new things!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

8. Vicki B says:

My favorite is the very first one with the soft pink. But then the one with the bold purple is my 2nd choice. So fun with the different looks you can get.

9. memalagene says:

Gorgeous cards, Your stamping and coloring is awesome!

10. tami says:

I love the first card with the worn lipstick & strattered straw distress stains! Beautiful! Would love to see video tutorial 🙂

11. cherylquilts says:

Absolutely beautiful cards, Heather! I especially love the first one with its soft colors! Stunning each one!! Hugs, and Happy Mother’s Day!

12. CM Taylor says:

A video would be awesome! Please? It is all in the technique and mine turned to “mud”. Not very interesting but I am still working on the right touch! TFS Your cards turn out stunning each time.