Winter Sunset

winter sunset Heather Telford

I have another wintry scene today created back in January when it really did look like this outside! I used painter’s tape to mask the edges of the watercolour panel then frisket film to mask the snow while I painted the sky with colour picked up from my watercolour pencils. I stamped some trees before moving the frisket mask down to create more snow banks. Before I moved the frisket film each time I added twigs and scrub in the snow banks by stamping parts of the ‘Etched Branches’ stamp. Frisket film is a plastic film which is waterproof and sticky on one side making it perfect for masking with wet mediums like watercolour.

Occasionally I am asked in classes what to do when paint seeps under the masking tape around the edges of a panel. You can see it did so in a few places on the one above. Often I will do nothing and it will have some uneven edges to add to its uniqueness. If it looks too messy or unbalanced I sometimes trim or add a die cut to cover the offending area.

Don’t forget to keep checking the PB blog if you are interested in the new products from the ‘Especially for You 2015’ release. There are new cards everyday and a chance to win some new stamps and dies.

Stamps:  Etched Branches, AmazingPrancers (PB)
Inks: Walnut stain distress ink (Ranger)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hotpressed watercolour paper
Also: Faber Castell Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils, Graffix frisket film

11 Comments on “Winter Sunset”

1. cherylquilts says:

Oh, Heather, what a gorgeous winter scene, and I love that you used the frisket for the snow banks. I purchased some and need to try it…dare to anyway! I love the dreamy sky and agree that it’s perfect just the way it is since it seeped under the tape. It actually is probably better than if it had not seeped…IMHO. What a gorgeous card, and it’s sure to cheer a special someone! Hugs, sweet friend, and thanks for continuing to inspire me!

2. Micheline Jourdain says:

Gorgeous! J’adore cette carte!

3. Sally H says:

That is absolutely gorgeous, Heather! Such a wonderful sky – great colours!

4. Cath says:

A lovely card that blends both realism and a romantic quality. Thanks for the tips on how you created it.

5. Liz in NH says:

Beautiful colors everywhere! You are the Queen!

I like that your borders are not perfectly defined, I think it adds to the watercolour look. Such a pretty scene.

7. Rufus says:

This is simply gorgeous! Love that sky. I think it actually looks better that it bled under the tape a bit…make it look more water color-y. Would love to see you do a video of how you did this card! Mine never look nearly as good as yours!

8. Sylvia Johnson says:

Love this beautiful card. Your water color work is fabulous!

9. AJ says:

Gorgeous. You have such a talent. Love this landscape scene.

10. memalagene says:

Wonderful card, did you cut the frisket achieving the irregular edges?

11. maureenchandler says:

This is just beautiful – I love all your work! Would you ever do a video?