Pine needles & cones

Pine Panel Heather Telford

This panel of pine cones and needles is one of the bits & pieces that was waiting to be turned into something. I made the panel quite a while ago so here is my best guess at how I did it. I splattered some masking fluid on watercolour paper then inked the pine cones with vintage photo distress ink spritzed them with water then stamped them on the panel. I did the same with the pine needles in, surprise, surprise, pine needle distress ink. At this point I may have painted a little tumbled glass stain around the needles and cones as a background. When the panel had partially dried I restamped sections of the pine cone for added definition. I switched to Memento Northern Pine ink to add some darker needles. When all was dry I rubbed off the masking fluid.

I trimmed it a little and matted it with brown and then tried to think of a background that would add interest but not compete with the panel itself. I tried embossing the needles and cones from the “Nature’s Gifts” set on the card base in a pearl powder. The powder is very pretty and I will try it again on another project but it didn’t work for this one. I ended up with no more pattern on the card base that the stripes of repeated sentiments. Keeping it clean and simple qualifies it for the Less is More challenge this week to be ‘Christmassy’.

Stamps:  Nature’s Gifts Winter Magic (PB)
Inks:  Tumbled Glass distress stains & Pine Needle, Vintage Photo distress ink(Ranger), Memento Northern Pine, Versafine Vintage Sepia (Imagine Craft/Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Neenah Avon Brilliant 110lb cardstock, Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Sticks & Stones mix & match paper (Penny Black)
Also: Winsor & Newton masking fluid

12 Comments on “Pine needles & cones”

1. Janine B says:

I love your pine cone image and want to try something like it when I have some time! Thank you for sharing

2. Sarah says:

Another fabulous card this week Heather
    The image and watercolouring is AMAZING.
    You are super talented … thanks for explaining your technique too
    Sarah
    Less is More

3. chrissieann says:

Another inspirational card Heather. Wonderful watery effect. I just love it!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    “Less is More”

That’s a perfect way to frame this pretty panel. Such a serene card.

5. Miranda says:

Gorgeous Heather, love the fading effect done by the spritzing! From time to time I leave a comment but always enjoying your creations coming by through the email! Thanks for making the world a bit more beautiful! Miranda

6. Janette says:

Your creations are stunning Heather, after seeing the recent video tute, I dashed off to buy the Prancer set from PennyBlack….if I can come close to what you created I will be amazed…but am willing to try…lol..xx

7. Laurie says:

This card is really stunning, very well done!

8. kathyk4 says:

Your card simply ROCKS this challenge

Kathyk

9. Gabby says:

GREAT card, Heather! LOVE the pine cone panel. The stamping and inking is FABULOUS! Like the repeated sentiment above and below, as well. 🙂

10. Liz in NH says:

Heather, you teach me so much! Since I’ve been studying your gorgeous work, I’ve been getting lots better at my own. Many many thanks!

11. Anne Ray says:

Sorry to be so late visiting you this week, stunning ‘bits and pieces’ Heather, love this!
    Thanks so much for entering the LIM Challenge
    Anne
    Less is More Designer

I love the water colour effects you have got here Heather and the sentiment border above and below the panel. So elegant. x