Central Park in snow & masking fluid questions answered

Central Park in snow Heather Telford

Last week I posted a very snowy card and received several questions about using masking fluid. I decided to make a short video showing my set up for flicking masking fluid. Masking fluid isn’t just for flicking, of course, but you could be excused for thinking that when you see how rarely I do anything else with it!

I included the card above because it shows snow created after flicking a generous amount of masking fluid on a piece of watercolour paper. It is actually the piece I flicked in the video. I painted over the masking fluid with a blue and a pink distress stain (listed below) and then while the paper was still damp stamped the Skyline stamp in grey a few times then blue. I once again used the little tree from the Prancers set in the foreground. I cut the large sentiment from Yuletide Greetings into two pieces and stamped the front and the inside of the card.

Central Park in snow inside

Some answers to your questions about masking fluid

What is masking fluid?
A non-staining liquid composed of rubber latex for masking areas of work needing protection when colour is applied over the top

What type do you use?
Winsor & Newton non permanent masking fluid with a slight yellow tint. The yellow tint makes it easier to see where it has been applied. This is probably more useful when carefully painting the masking fluid onto a project rather than flicking it with careless abandon!

Are all brands the same?
I have used the Winsor & Newton brand for years and cannot comment on other brands. I think the key is to make sure you buy non permanent because you want to remove it after all your stamping/sponging/painting is completed.

Where do I find masking fluid?
Masking fluid is an art supply often used by watercolour artsists so you can find it in art supply stores, usually with the watercolour supplies.

How do you remove masking fluid without ripping the paper?
I must admit I haven’t had too many instances of masking fluid ripping my paper. The spots from splattering are small and rub off very easily. Sometimes with larger dots or sections it is harder to remove the masking fluid. If you are painting a larger area do a test on your paper first to make sure you can remove the masking fluid successfully. I always use my fingers to rub it off but you can use a clean soft eraser.

The video I have created shows how I splatter panels for projects such as the one above. Hopefully some of your questions will be answered once you have watched my process.

Stamps: City LightsPrancers, Season’s Wishes (PB)
Inks:  Memento Nautical Blue, London Fog, Northern Pine (Imagine Craft/Tsukineko) Victorian Velvet, Broken China distress stains(Ranger)
Cardstock: Neenah Solar White 110lb cardstock, Fabriano 100% cotton hot-pressed watercolour paper, textured blue cardstock, textured green cardstock, linen textured paper
Also: Winsor & Newton masking fluid, Kemper Spatter brush

16 Comments on “Central Park in snow & masking fluid questions answered”

1. jeanmanis says:

This is absolutely stunning and perfectly captures Central Park!

2. jmhave44 says:

Heather, Thanks so very much for taking time to do this most informative video. My splatters never look ‘right’, so I’ll be checking out this specific brush that you are using. Love the masking fluid, and need to use some that I’ve bought. Also appreciated seeing the ‘block’ that you mention frequently, as I didn’t know exactly what this meant! TFS

3. De toute beauté! Magnifique! How much I love winter scènes!

4. Jan Castle says:

Thank you so much Heather….you answered two questions I had, and the video was very helpful as to how to use the splatter tool – Very helpful!!!
    Hugs,
    Jan

5. Lesley S. says:

Your video is really helpful. I’m wondering if you’ve ever had a problem with the dish detergent you apply to the brush? Does any of the detergent end up being splattered onto the paper as well? Is it important to use detergent that is light in colour or clear? Is the Kemper brush something that would usually be available in an art supply store? Thanks.

• Heather says:

Hi Lesley,
      I haven’t had a problem with any dish detergent splattering or any colour problems. I rub the detergent in and then squeeze my fingers along the bristles of the brush to make sure there is not too much detergent left. It is just enough to make washing the brush easier at the end. The Kemper brush is a pottery supply which was hard to find in art stores. I ended up ordering it from Amazon.

6. Bahb says:

Thanks so much for the video. My attempts with a toothbrush were awful, so I will be looking for a brush like yours. Seeing your set-up was a huge help. It makes sense to do several panels at once, for use later. Your Joy card is another favorite……only an artist like you would have thought to make a shadowy background of buildings, so effective.
    Bahb

7. Gabby says:

BEAUTIFUL card, Heather! Thanks for the video showing how you flick the masking fluid. The only “flicking” I’ve done is w/paint or a wet medium, after the project is done. As you can imagine, when that doesn’t go as planned, it can quickly and easily ruin a project. I can certainly understand why the masking fluid is the way to go. 🙂

8. trishreddick says:

Thanks heather for this helpful video, now I am off to find a Kemper spatter brush!

9. Jim says:

Heather, Where do I find the splatter brush Hobby Lobby like the masking fluid? I LOVE LOVE this technique. I bought the fluid the last time I e-mailed you after seeing your trees and snow drifts. My girlfriend and I did this last weekend but now I want to buy the brush Diana in Wisconsin

10. Sandra says:

Heather, thanks for taking the time to do a great video to answer our questions, and for another lovely project to inspire us.

11. Barbara Taylor says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I will be looking for the spatter brush and masking fluid. Need to retrieve an excellent box my Hubby just threw away. Ha

12. Francie in Montreal says:

Thank you for the tutorial. It was so informative and easy to follow. Well done! I have admired every creation you have posted, but have difficulty in making the time to let you know this. Every one is an inspiration and I thank you for sharing your art and knowledge with us. Believe me, it is greatly appreciated.

I’m amazed at how perfectly you’ve captured the look of Central Park in winter… not that I’ve ever been there, but it’s just as I imagine it. 😉 I appreciated the video as well — I may have to look for a brush similar to that, it seems to work really well. Or maybe it’s just you. 😀

14. Donna Whitten says:

I enjoyed your video, thanks! Your cards are lovely.