Moonlit Forest

Moonlit Forest Heather Telford

As you can see I am still creating super moons! This time the moon is lighting up a snowy pass through the forest. I have only skied by moonlight once. It was beautiful, cold, but beautiful. This scene reminds me of that moonlit ski because there seems to be a pass between the trees. When I went the moon was nowhere near as big as the one above but it gave us enough light that we could see the trails without headlamps most of the time.

The moon for this panel was masked with frisket film but I have discovered that, for watercolouring, low tack film does not do the trick like extra tack frisket film. I have tried both now and extra tack seals better without damaging the paper. The brand I have tried is Grafix; I am sure there are other brands available but I was able to order both low tack and extra tack from DeSerres. I positioned the large moon mask on watercolour paper that already had some masking fluid flicked over it. I also placed a frisket mask across the bottom of the panel to cover the snowy foreground. I painted Victorian Velvet and Chipped Sapphire distress stains over the whole sky area and spritzed pearl-ex spray (interference gold) over the panel to blend the colours. When I peeled off the moon mask I discovered some of the stain had seeped under the mask (low tack frisket film) so the moon was no longer a circle. I decided to keep going regardless of my wonky moon and stamp the trees to reveal only part of the moon. The tree is from the “Nature’s Friend” set and is a solid silhouette. As you can see the trees are sharper over the moon area, which was dry, and more blended and watery where the paper was damp from the stain and spray. I inked just the top of the tree with a paint brush to stamp the shadowy tops of trees in the distance.

In the foreground I painted a couple of lines of stain then blended with water to make the colour fade out. I wish you could see the shimmery sheen from the pearl-ex spray over the whole sky and tree area. It is really rather pretty and has a gold tint which is why I chose a gold mat and thread to finish the card. The simple sentiment is from the same set as the tree.

Stamps:  Nature’s Friend (PB)
Inks: Victorian VelvetChipped Sapphire distress stains & Chipped Sapphire distress ink (Ranger)
Cardstock:  Navy Cardstock, Gold cardstock,  Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: Grafix frisket film, Winsor & Newton masking fluid, scanfil metallic gold thread, Interference gold Pearl-ex powder mixed with water to make a spray.

16 Comments on “Moonlit Forest”

1. Pitchoune57 says:

gorgeous card!
    bye, Pitchoune

2. Andrea D. says:

Your cards are so beautiful! I just love every time I see a new blog post from you. I know your card is going to be gorgeous. Your descriptions are spot on, too. Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

3. AYOYE… WOUAHHHH… BEAUTIFUL!

4. canadiancaroline says:

Beautiful! Although I kind of dread the return of snow, your moonlit scene is a reminder of the beauty of winter, esp if you get out and embrace it! I love that combo of dusty pink and navy…with gold accents. Just lovely! I’m thinking that is the same fir tree stamp we used in class this last weekend?

• Heather says:

Hi Caroline,
      This tree is a different one, more of a solid silhouette than the “Prancers” trees we used. I am always happy to have another tree stamp!

5. Lisa Fedak says:

Love the wonky moon. Gives the impression of clouds slipping through the night.

6. Love this- so ethereal and peaceful!! Congrats on the tweet from Penny Black!

7. Pai says:

you are the most amazing stamp artist! wow!

8. Mary Jensen says:

I LOVE it!! Totally reflects the beauty and magic of winter bliss…I love the snow, always so serene and peaceful. Thanks for sharing Heather 🙂

9. Gabby says:

Lovely card! Beautiful moonlit forest scene. Love the trees and sky. I can’t imagine how amazing it would be to ski by the moonlight. 🙂

Beautiful card. Please continue to do WINTER scenes — I simply LOVE your art work and can’t wait to view your winter wonderlands ——– thanks for sharing your great talent.

I quite like the *wonky* moon — looks like there are some wisps of clouds, perhaps. Imperfect also seems more natural. The scene is beautiful.

12. konarose says:

I love it like this Heather. The moon, the ‘starry’ splotches, the path through the snow and trees, and how you matched the gold cord to the background layer. It’s so lovely!!! Reminds me of our one time skiing at night and all the dry tiny powder of snow sparkling like zillions of diamonds falling from the black sky. Thank you ♥

13. Karen says:

Stunning!!! I love the painterly effect and I can almost feel the crisp winter air. Wonderful card!

14. Vicki B says:

Definitely a WOW! You do such great work with the scenes you create!