Watercolour background

Delicate Floral with watercolour background Heather Telford

The background was the starting point for this card. I squeezed three colours of distress stain directly onto an acrylic block then pressed the block onto watercolour paper creating a pink, blue and green abstract background. Next I chose the stamp from Delicate Florals and stamped it in a couple of stages. First I inked only the blooms with Victorian Velvet distress stain and stamped them a couple of times. When the paper was dry I inked the whole stamp with versafine onyx black and stamped over the pink blooms. I inked in black again but selectively to stamp parts of a second spray of flowers on the left.

On the card base I stamped the same image a few more times in VersamagicWheat chalk ink.

Drop in on the Penny Black blog this week to enjoy the “How-to Hop” featuring the new large scale stamps and co-ordinating stencils. I will be sharing a card and tutorial mid-week.
Thanks for dropping by.

Stamps: Delicate FloralsSpecial Wishes  (PB)
Inks: Versafine Onyx Black & Versamagic Wheat (Tsukineko) Victorian Velvet, Tumbled Glass, Bundled Sage Distress Stains (Ranger)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper

15 Comments on “Watercolour background”

1. Paulette S says:

Heather, your card art is SO Interesting! I’m glad you tell us how you did it because I’m always intrigued by these intersting layers of color and stamping with beautiful results.

2. jeanmanis says:

Absolutely gorgeous. This sounds like a great technique to try! Your results are phenomenal!

3. Thank you, Heather for another beautiful card and all the steps you did to create it! Your card is beautiful and you have the most fantastic techniques! Thanks for sharing this with us.

4. Gabby says:

Great inked bkgrd and what pretty flowers. 🙂

5. Lisa says:

Incredible layers. I love how much interest you have in a single layer and absolutely no glitter! It is making me rethink my strategy in card making.

6. CherylQuilts says:

Oh, Heather, this is gorgeous in its simplicity! Totally love it! I just love Fabriano paper; it adds such rich texture! Hugs!

7. jillianfoster82 says:

SOOO pretty! And springy, too. Love this Heather!

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 04:03:11 +0000 To: jillianfoster82@hotmail.com

8. Mary H . says:

Simply gorgeous – as always. Love the blooms on this beautiful background you’ve created. I keep trying these techniques you describe. Maybe one of these days I’ll get something worthwhile. You make it look so very easy….TFS & Hugs

9. LaVon says:

I continue to be so awed by your beautiful watercolor work. This one is gorgeous!

10. M J says:

Beautiful – love your techniques and will have to try . thank you so much for sharing

11. judy stevens says:

Wow! I love these images and the colors you use to enhance them.

12. lesliekmiller says:

Brilliant, Heather! Your background is a perfect likeness of a partly cloudy day (or partly sunny?). Amazing what you can do with stamps and inks.

13. Nancy L. says:

So impressed and intrigued with your cards as of late…you do make it seem so easy…but I am sure that is not the case. Very Beautiful! Hope to try my hand at this soon! Thanks for your constant inspiration!

14. So beautiful! It so perfect and soft and tender!