Watercolour Tulips

Watercolour tulips

I have been having fun with watercolour techniques again. My inspiration for this panel came from at some beautiful paintings by Kristy Patterson where she has painted in watercolour over text. Often when I use the letter background stamp I use it only on sections of my panel or collage. This time I stamped it across the whole panel of watercolour paper first in Versafine Vintage Sepia which is waterproof. I switched to Memento inks for the tulips so I could blend the inks with as much water as necessary. My watercolouring method is a little different each time so it’s hard to describe. I started by painting water onto the panel then inking the tulip stamp in green and red before stamping it three times. I immediately blended some of the ink as it bled and pooled but also used red and orange watercolour pencils to add more colour and restamped the tulips a few times too. Once I was happy with the tulips I ran a nautical blue memento ink pad around the perimeter of the panel and immediately used water to pull  the ink  to surround the tulips.

Maybe you are already seeing tulips where you live; it will be a couple more months before we do!

Stamps: Blooming GardenLetter BackgroundEdge to Edge (PB)
Inks: Memento Nautical Blue, Cottage Ivy, Love letter & Versafine Vintage Sepia, Majestic Blue (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper,  Spring Meadow Mix & Match Papers
Also: Faber-Castell watercolour pencils

17 Comments on “Watercolour Tulips”

1. Dianne says:

Love it, love it, love it, the words look fab underneath, I using writing under in my project too very beautiful…Thanks for sharing with us…

2. Lynne J says:

One word: WOW

3. JayNine says:

Love it! Spring kinda brings out the flowers in all of us doesnt it…Fabulous piece!

4. Cheryl McAskill says:

This is just stunning. I like your watercoloring. Great Job! Thanks for sharing.

5. Isabelle P. says:

Elle est superbe !

6. Barb King says:

This is just gorgeous, I can’t wait to see some signs of life around here in MA. Planning to go to a bulb show this week, though. Thanks for the inspirations, I will try this!

7. Wonderful! Beautiful! You achieve a superb combination of colouring without ‘muddying’ those colours…a true artist!

8. Maureen Chandler says:

This is so lovely – thank you so much!

9. Mary H. says:

Lovely tulips, and marvelous coloring…as always. Daffodils are blooming, onlly green shoots from the tulips so far though. TFS

10. Vicki B says:

You have created a beautiful watercolor image. I’ve never had much luck with the technique and afraid I don’t have the patience to keep trying. 🙂 Your card is very pretty!

Such a lovely reminder that spring will be here some day! Thanks for the description of your watercolouring technique on this… I would have thought only distress inks would react that way. Good to know!

12. Gabby says:

Beautiful watercolored panel! You bkgrd and tuplips are lovely. 🙂

13. Heather your watercoloring on these tulips is divine.

14. Absolutely gorgeous Heather! I LOVE your watercoloring!

15. Ellie Knol says:

It is so beautiful! Also thanks for sharing the HOW TO!

16. cindyhammel says:

I love this!! Any video of how you did it?

17. kim says:

this is truly the prettiest card I have ever seen…..