Fly away with me

It is tempting to fly away somewhere warmer when snow and ice covers everything outside. The birds are returning and making themselves heard so spring might be round the corner.

This card started its life as a one layer card but a smudged sentiment just before it was completed meant that it became a two layer. I was not willing for the stamped and sponged panel to go to waste so I sliced it off the ruined card and popped it up on a new card base.

When making the scene I masked the sides first, then the moon and the top hill. Then I sponged the sky, before moving the mask down to create a snow bank. Before making the last snow bank I stamped the Winter Sky stamp from Penny Black making sure my bird flew in front of the moon. I added a final snow bank and stamped a bit more brush to finish it off.

Several people have asked me about masking fluid. You can find it in an art store with the watercolour paints. I use the Winsor and Newton brand but I think they are all similar.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the encouragement you leave me in the comments.

Stamps: Winter Sky (Penny Black), Birds in Vines(Flourishes)
Inks: Buckaroo Blue & Pretty in Pink (SU), Versafine Onyx Black
Cardstock: MFP 100lb white

17 Comments on “Fly away with me”

1. Judy says:

Beautiful scene–it really evokes the feel of winter. I like the card mounted this way; it gives it
    a little more lift and dimension. If you hadn’t mentioned it, one would have thought you intentionally designed it to be two layers.

2. Deb says:

Just love this! Gorgeous work with the masking. I also love how classic it looks with the white base and blue hills.

3. Tui Nathan says:

Wow …. what a fabulous scene … love it!

4. Darlene says:

Once again you have created another beautiful card Heather. I absolutely love your work and am inspired to try winter scenes of my own, but they are not up to your expertise yet. Keep sharing those wonderful works of art with us …I just love seeing what you create.

5. Sandy Knecht says:

Gorgeous scene and card.

6. Marja says:

I do fly away with you Heather. This is so gorgeousand elegant again. I love this scene so much. So handsome to make this.
    Lovely greet
    Marja

7. Ellie Knol says:

o, Heather, this is just so beautiful! Gotta give that style a try once!

8. Bahb says:

Oh my, I do believe this is my favorite of yours so far. I love the glow around the moon and the extra thicket. The concentrated snowy gorgeousness and that perfect sentiment with the bird flying away……….I’ve run out of superlatives.

We’re so lucky we get to see what you create. Thanks.
    Bahb

9. Ericka says:

Again, a beautiful card with poesy and natural.
    Ericka

Beautiful! You’ve created a real depth of scene here with the sponging. And it’s always nice to hear that I’m not the only one that occasionally has to “save” an element of a card after a smudge or something not quite right. 😛

11. Sue McRae says:

I can feel the chill in the air with this great scene!

12. Heather your scenes rival Mother Nature. They draw you in and invite you to escape!

13. Ann Y. says:

This is gorgeous, Heather. There is so much depth in this scene you’ve made.

14. I love your gallery. This card is so striking I am going to sign up and become a fan follower.

xo, Marian

15. Oh my…this is just incredible!

16. […] Here are a few other cards I have created using this layout Balloons, Delicate florals & Winter Sky. To create this card I sponged the sky first taking care to get lighter towards the bottom so that […]