OLW36 Barely There

Yesterday I had a chance to create something for the One Layer Wednesday Challenge, hosted this week by Jennifer.  The challenge is to use a bare tree, bare branch or other vegetation just as long as it is bare.  That is not a hard ask for me as I have been happily stamping bare trees in snow for a month or so now.  When I looked back through my recent posts I realized the tree from “Branch Out has been appearing often.  I really think I need a few new trees stamps don’t you?

I decided to try a reflection in my scene this time; a winter tree, but one by an unfrozen pond or stream.  Any still water round here would have frozen solid last night as the temperature was down to 25 degrees below zero!   My girls went skating on the canal yesterday, something they ordinarily love to do, but the bitter cold took most of the enjoyment out and they spent the rest of the day trying to warm up again!

The edges of the image panel were masked with post-it notes as were the horizon and water’s edge.  To create the reflected tree I stamped it on the plastic square that came with the stamp-a-ma-jig and pressed that onto the sponged water.  (I am sorry about the smudges on the photo, they are on the lens of my daughter’s camera)

If you haven’t already browsed through the OLW36 submissions check them out on Jennifer’s blog, there is plenty of inspiration to be found there.

Stamps: Branch Out, Hugs & Wishes
Inks:  Basic black, Brocade Blue, Rose Red, Pretty in Pink, Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa
Cardstock: Flourishes classic white

13 Comments on “OLW36 Barely There”

1. sue says:

Wow, what a knock-out card! The pink and blue is blended perfectly to make a beautiful winter sky. The reflection is awesome! I do have a stamp-a-ma-jig, and will have to try this! It looks very realistic. Did you do the tree first and match the reflection to it or vice versa? Your card is gorgeous, Heather.

2. I nearly fell off my chair! Wow!

Fantabulous card! Awesome job on the challenge and thanks for playing along with OLW36!

3. anne marie says:

oh , i really love that .. and i do own that set .. a must try again .. thank you for all your hard work ..i do, so enjoy hearing from you .yours in ink anne

Wow. What a beautiful winter scene. It’s perfect!

5. Donna H says:

This is an awesome card. Very professional. I’d buy it if I saw it in a store.

6. This is amazing. I love the sky and how you’ve created a reflection in the water – brilliant!!

7. *Chrissie* says:

This is SO beautiful Heather.
    It’s a lovely scene, very cleverly stamped.
    I love it!
    Chrissie

8. Jen W. says:

Heather, this is truly stunning! I am constantly in awe of your cards. You really are talented!

9. Barb says:

Love your card – its beautiful!!

10. Lynne K says:

This is beautiful, Heather. The reflection is just perfect.

I think you could buy some new tree stamps with a clear conscience. One can never have too many tree stamps!

11. doris says:

This card is so stunning! You don’t even miss the use of extra layers. So glad that smudge was on the lens and not the card!

12. nancy littrell says:

Heather, your one layer bare tree reflection is just GORGEOUS! TFS Stay warm!

13. Janelle says:

Oh, my. What a gorgeous card. Love how you made the tree’s reflection. And the crisp edges of your sponged area are fabulous. Really, really great one-layer card!