Woodland scene: Winter edition

Back in the summer I created a card using Lovely as a Tree for the OLW Stamp a Scene challenge.  I was quite happy with the outcome; both the layout and the technique worked well to suggest the depth of a forest on a summer’s day.  I decided to use the same layout and technique to recreate the card in fall and today I’m posting the winter edition.

I masked my two edges as usual but then added a “snowy hill horizon mask” so I could sponge  the sky.  Without moving any masks I stamped some trees in blue.  Then I removed the top mask and repositioned the “snowy hill horizon mask” and stamped the trees in black making sure that their trunks overlapped the horizon mask.  Before lowering the mask again I sponged a little blue along the edge to create the snow bank.  I move and sponged the bank in a few places again before lightly sponging along the bottom mask.

A favourite stamp, a favourite technique, a favourite layout and in my favourite colour!

Stamps: Lovely as a Tree, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Inks:   Basic Black Brocade Blue
Cardstock:   Flourishes Classic White

10 Comments on “Woodland scene: Winter edition”

1. Janet Kay says:

Gorgeous! I tried this technique after watching your tutorial. I made two lovely cards, if I say so myself;)

So far I can only do the colored layer. I am having trouble making the different layers of snow. I will keep practicing:)

Thank you for sharing your beautiful cards! 🙂

2. nancy littrell says:

I love all 3 of your seasonal scenes. Lovely as a Tree is still my all time fav. set. TFS

3. Valerie says:

I love these cards of yours Heather, strangely enough I was in Nova Scotia on holiday last summer and saw a demo in a craft shop of a similar technique. I tried it out on one of my Christmas cards and added some stampbord as well. Your card is simple but stunning and it makes mine look over fussy!! I will have another go and try the season theme
    Valerie x

4. Lynne K says:

Beautiful! As were your other versions. But blue is my favourite colour too, so of them all I like this one the best! I suspect that “Lovely as a tree” is the most loved tree stamp of all time!

5. This card… and the others you’ve made with the same technique… are absolutely FABULOUS!! I appreciate you sharing how you did it step by step because I’m fairly new to stamping! Thanks!

Wow, you are a master of masking! This is beautiful. So much detail for a one-layer card.

7. Joan B says:

amazing. i just love everything you make

8. Anke says:

Adorable … so beautiful

9. ND says:

It is even more beautiful when it came out of an envelope than it is on the screen. And thank you for the snow. After the longest spell of hot days on record, and the hottest night on record, a drop of snow was most welcome.

ND

10. Kim says:

love this card. used it as inspiration for my winter card.