Merry Berries

As I was stamping and painting this panel it hadn’t occurred to me that these berries are mistletoe and maybe shouldn’t have been red! The stamp is called Merry Berries from Penny Black and it’s stamped three times. I picked a red and a purple for the berries and a couple of greens for the leaves. I used both distress inks and distress markers to get everything inked.

With this many small leaves and berries I work in a stamp positioner and sometimes ink the stamp with one ink pad and then remove ink where I don’t want it. I stamp that first colour or in the case of the leaves, the mix of forest moss and mowed lawn and, because I had wiped ink off the berries, they will be unstamped (ideally!). I switched to markers to ink the berries, stamping a couple of times to build up shadow and depth. Once all the leaves and berries are inked I blend with a paintbrush and water to fill the shapes.

The little white dots on the leaves are the result of splattered masking fluid on the hot pressed watercolour paper. I splatter the masking fluid on several panels of watercolour paper ahead of time and let them dry so I can grab one when I need one. When all the stamping and painting is completed and dry I rub the masking fluid off with my fingers or with adhesive eraser. To finish the card I stamped a sentiment from the PB ‘promise of hope’ set.

(Compensated affiliate links from Foiled Fox, Scrap n Stamp & Ecstasy Crafts)

8 Comments on “Merry Berries”

1. Jan Castle says:

Beautifully done Heather…TFS!

2. Lois DeRoo says:

Gorgeous. You put so much into your work.

I think leaves and berries are one of my favourite looks for cards this Christmas and these are gorgeous Heather, and with that bit of spattering for snow and a lovely sentiment to finish. x

4. nancystiz says:

Beautifully done in your muted shades which are my personal favorite and look so natural. I’ve never successfully used masking fluid but you inspired me to try again. This is such a gorgeous card!

5. Bonnie says:

Your branches and berries are beautiful, Heather! We have some ornamental holly here that has red berries and this shape leaves so you are botanically correct. Artistically we can make things any color we want.

6. nise says:

Pretty berries and leaves! Reds and greens are holiday colors, so I think it works perfectly. I need to try your coloring technique again with the softening using a wet brush. I really like the dreamy look you achieve. Thank you for always giving such good details about how you create your works of art.

7. Karen Jackson says:

This is another beautiful card Heather.I think your colours are perfect because mistletoe berries are small and round, and the leaves have rounded ends not pointed.It is such a lovely card.

8. Gorgeous card with your branches and berries, Heather. I LOVE them in red!! xx