fantastic

Not long ago I learnt from a couple of friends that foil will stick to some alcohol inks. I posted a card at that time and continued to experiment with foil and alcohol ink panels.  If the alcohol ink sitting on the yupo paper is a little sticky the foil will stick more readily than if the inks are long dried. I ran today’s panel through my minc not long after I’d created it and a lot of gold foil stuck. Foil doesn’t stick to all colours of alcohol ink and I’m sorry to say I have not done exhaustive testing to know which ones work. I just layer on some foil, run it through the minc and see what I get!

I was pretty happy with what I got this time there were some really pretty gold highlights, but a few more than I wanted. I decided to see whether I could add alcohol ink over the top of the foiling just to tone some of the gold down a little. I was pleasantly surprised to see the gold foil change to a dull silver when it came in contact with the ink. It is definitely hard to photograph the results but my blue and green panel has gold highlights as well as subtler silver patterns.

To turn my panel into a card I backed the yupo with white cardstock then cut it in two using the curved stitch die from Penny Black. I stacked some gold die-cuts to make the word ‘fantastic’ look a little more fantastic and added it all to a natural card base. I think this one might turn up as a graduation card this June.

Supplies

Dies: curved stitch, fantastic

Inks: ranger alcohol inks aqua, willow, denim

Paper: yupo, neenah solar white, neenah natural white, gold foil

Also: gold foil, minc, rubbing alcohol

7 Comments on “fantastic”

1. Liz Jones in New Hampshire says:

Wowie, you really upped the creative process with this one! Wonderful! Oops, I meant to say “Fantastic”!

2. Mac Mable says:

Stunning card, great colours and love how you did the foiling. Thanks too for the information about the alcohol inks over the foil x

3. Cathy R says:

Wonderful card Heather, have recently bought some foil to try this technique, Cathy x

Wow Heather, I love the mix of alcohol ink colours and the gold foil and sentiment really add some sparkle to the card. x

5. Christine says:

It certainly is a fantastic card. It’s interesting how the foil went silvery. More great ideas to try out!

6. lollthompson says:

Gorgeous results of your AI and foil panel, Heather. The gold really shines so beautifully. So interesting how some of the foil turned silver with the addition of more ink. We are always learning with this fun craft. xx

7. memalagene says:

WOWZERS! This is absolutely gorgeous!