Peaceful sunset

I’ve employed one of my favourite techniques to create this wintry scene. I used the same technique for years to create a thin layer of snow on branches but it is so much easier now with stamp positioning tools like the misti.

If you take a close look you can see the branches have a thin white line above the black silhouette. I created that layer of snow by stamping the ‘peaceful moments’ stamp once in versamark ink (which is clear) then I move my watercolour paper panel up ever-so-slightly (no more than 1mm) and stamped it again in versafine onyx black. With the image stamped twice I then embossed in clear powder so both the clear and the black inking would resist watercolour paint when added over the top.

I painted the lowest part of the sky in a ‘V’ shape with scattered straw distress stain, blended in some worn lipstick distress stain then finally some tumbled glass and chipped sapphire stain. I let the sky dry completely before painting the mountains with a tumbled glass and chipped sapphire stains. Once that was dry I splattered a fine mist of white paint over the scene. As the stamp is tall and thin I decided to turn a horizontal sentiment into a vertical one by stamping one word at a time, another task made easier with a stamp positioning tool.

Supplies

Supplies

Stamps: peaceful moment, full of merriment (PB)
Paper: solar white cardstock (Neenah), hot pressed watercolour paper
Ink: versamark, versafine onyx black (Tsukineko)
Stains: scattered straw, worn lipstick, tumbled glass, chipped sapphire distress stains (Ranger)
Also: clear embossing powder, bleed proof white paint

11 Comments on “Peaceful sunset”

1. Shauna Todd says:

I see you have done it again!… another gorgeous card!

2. Sherry says:

BEEE_u-tiful!!! As always, nice work! Could you please tell us what kind of “bleed proof white paint” you use? Do you dilute it? thanks! Hugs, Sherry

• Heather says:

Hi Sherry,
      I use Dr Ph Martins bleed proof white and sometimes just a white gesso. I dilute them just enough to make them easy to splatter.

• Sherry says:

Thanks, Heather, for taking time to provide the answer! You’re very thoughtful. I remember fondly taking a class from you at Angela’s Happy Stamper. Did you know that Angela’s is closing at the end of September? So very sad…after 14 years of providing inspiration, community, and, of course, shopping opportunities!

3. Sal says:

I ❤️ your cards!!! You have inspired me to paint with Distress Stains and I ❤️ them. I now understand however that Ranger is discontinuing them. The spray stains are just not the same. Do you have an alternative?
    Sal

• Heather says:

Hi Sal,
      Thanks for your kind words. As you know I love working with the distress stains so I am sad the daubers are being discontinued. I contacted Ranger and asked if the stain in the daubers was the same as in the spray bottles and it is exactly the same so I will be refilling my daubers from the spray bottles. It is possible to buy empty dauber bottles made by another company (not sure who it is) so you could do that.

4. Karen Jackson says:

Another beautiful card Heather and thank you so much for sharing about altering the direction of a sentiment. I would never have thought of stamping one word at a time. Brilliant.

5. Bonnie says:

A beautiful scene, Heather! I have tried your technique of clear embossing and it works so well! Thanks for sharing that!

6. Brilliant! What a great technique! In my list to try!

7. memalagene says:

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks for the tip to make a snow topped branch!

Another gorgeous wintry scene Heather and I love the colours, and what a great idea to change the shape of the sentiment. x