Burst of Bister

It’s been all about the colorburst and brusho powders with me lately  so I thought it was past time to share the other watercolour powder in my life, bister. The concept is the same with bister; you add water and colour bursts out. The colours in the bister range are more earthy than the other brands and the crystals are, on the whole, coarser. The effects are just as magical as you can see on this panel.

I think this panel is from my initial experimenting with watercolour powders. I really liked how the colours moved on the cold pressed watercolour paper but for a long time I didn’t have a plan for the abstract panel. Eventually I realised it didn’t need a plan; it was a stand alone! I added a sentiment and popped up the panel on foam to give it a ‘shadow frame’ and that is the card. This panel shows the versatility of watercolour powders quite well. By varying the amount of water added you can get small intensely coloured shapes which I think look a bit like mosaics, you can get soft washes and some patterning in between the two extremes.

Supplies

Stamps: special thoughts (Penny Black)
Paint: Bister paint powders
Ink: Versafine vintage sepia (Tsukineko)
Paper: cold pressed watercolour paper

8 Comments on “Burst of Bister”

1. Jan Castle says:

Know you had little to do with the design except to sprinkle and spray, but Heather….it is BEAUTIFUL! Your sprinkle and spray are magical – LOL!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

2. Swh2013 says:

So pretty! I wish mine worked out so well. I get mud ever time!

This bister panel is gorgeous Heather and the colours have moved and blended beautifully. I especiallly love that yellow at the top. x

4. Mac Mable says:

So creative, loving the effect and the sentiment is so perfect with that fabulous background x

I think it might have been Ardyth on IG who said you can spend a lot of time looking for different “pictures” in this — definitely! Really showcases the bisters beautifully.

6. This bister panel is gorgeous, i have some also, and sometimes i com them with powertex. i love your blog and will follow you and put a link to my blog to you inspire me as because we make same things and new inspireing always is great. do look by my blog someday. xx Dorte in Denmark

7. memalagene says: