Gild the Lily

Gilded lily Heather Telford

I have something new to share today. There has been something of a Midas situation happening in my craft room. I brought home a Heidi Swapp Minc machine last week and warned my family that anything not nailed down was about to be foiled! It turns out their possessions are safe for now as I am currently experimenting with different ways to use the machine to do the type of foiling I want to do. I will share more over the weeks to come but I will say for starters that the Minc does a beautiful job.

gilded lily top view Heather Telford

As you know I have recently dived into watercolour powders and all the experimentation with them has resulted in a surplus of watercolour panels just sitting around waiting to be made into things. I pulled out one of those abstract panels and foiled a gold lily onto it using the ‘sun fire’ die from Penny Black. I am still learning and making mistakes so I won’t go into the how-to for today’s card but as I nail down the techniques that work for me I will share them here.

foiled lily detail Heather Telford

Prepare yourself for a little more shimmer and shine around here!

gilded lily flat Heather Telford

Stamps:  A Sweet Day (PB)
Creative Dies: Sun fire (PB)
Inks: Bister watercolour powders
Cardstock: Canson 100% cotton hotpressed watercolour paper
Also: gold foil

11 Comments on “Gild the Lily”

1. Patricia Torney says:

Is “wishing you a happy birthday” a stamp? I am new to stamping and read everything I can get my hands on!! Love using watercolors on my work too.

• Heather says:

Hi Patricia,
      It is actually three stamps from the same set. I list the supplies I use at the end of the post. The set is ‘A Sweet Day’ from Penny Black and the stamps are ‘wishing you a’, ‘happy’ & ‘birthday.

2. Jan Castle says:

Looking forward to it Heather!!!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

3. Clelie says:

Beautiful card…and love that background!!!

4. Joan B says:

oh my this is stunning. coveting your talent and the Minc!

5. joyceerb says:

Gorgeous! I love this technique since it isn’t perfect coverage:-)

I adore the bister paints and the gold lily on top really pops Heather, and I’m looking forward to seeing some more. x

7. Oh wow these are beautiful

Oh dear. I am still waffling over buying watercolour powders (our loonie is not helping) and now you throw this into the inspirational mix! What a gorgeous card.

9. jan metcalf says:

Love the gilded lily with your pretty watercolor background!

10. TaeEun says:

This is just gorgeous, the background and the foiled lily make together a beautiful card!
    I would love to learn more about foiling! Thanks for the inspiration!