Square snowscape

Square snowscape Heather Telford

I don’t create many square cards but the symmetry can be very pleasing. I made this little snow scape on a scrap of cardstock which I had previously splattered with masking fluid. The panel was Neenah solar white cardstock not watercolour paper so I refrained from watercolouring and created my night sky and snowy hills and gullies by sponging instead.

I cut a post-it mask for the horizon and punched a little circle mask for the moon then sponged both summer sky and nautical blue memento inks across the sky. Before removing the horizon mask I stamped a row of trees on the left hand side. I cut and positioned a different mask, stamped a couple more trees and then sponged over the edge of the mask. For the last two trees I just used part of a mask to create a few dips in the snow.  (I have a tutorial here showing now I create snowscapes with sponging and masking fluid)

To finish I ran the nautical blue sponge around the edge to frame the panel, added some highlights to the edges of a few snow banks and trees with a clear wink of stella pen and stamped my sentiment in nautical blue. When the ink was dry I rubbed the masking fluid off to reveal little white snowflakes.

Thanks for your encouragement to keep on stamping with the Prancers set. You know I will!

Stamps:  Prancers, Joy Filled (PB)
Inks:  Memento Nautical Blue, Summer Sky (Imagine Craft/Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Neenah Solar White 110lb cardstock
Also: Winsor & Newton masking fluid, Clear wink of stella pen

15 Comments on “Square snowscape”

1. Judy says:

You are the master of the sponged background, Heather–this is just stunning!!

2. Pitchoune57 says:

gorgeous card!
    Pitchoune

3. canadiancaroline says:

Beautiful! And all with just two colours of ink…those trees are a lovely stamp! I hope you’ll demo the Liquid Frisket at one of your classes.

4. Gabby says:

Wonderful card! Amazing inking and shading to create dimension, like on the snowy banks on this card. Amazing. 🙂

5. jancastle says:

Gorgeous Heather!!!

6. I am so happy… just receive my Prancers set… so beautiful … and like you do, I am in love with winter scènes… YOUR winter scènes… thank you so much for inspiration!

• Heather says:

Hi Micheline,
      I know you are going to have so much fun with the “Prancer” set. I was playing with another set today with a couple of trees in it and they are a different style to the Prancers tree so I enjoyed working with them. They will be released and revealed on Penny Black blog this week.
      Heather

7. Barbara Taylor says:

Thanks for the beautiful tutorial on the snow scene. The info on the masking of the 2nd tree helped me. I had tried masking and kept getting the space that didn’t stamp. I knew I could fill it in but thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks

The realism you obtain with sponges and some ink continues to amaze me. This is a beautiful scene!

9. Pai says:

beautiful card and great set!

10. Caryn says:

I cannot get enough of your snowscapes. They are so peaceful and I when I view them I can “hear” the quiet of a snowy night.

11. Rufus says:

Another simply gorgeous card! Thanks for linking your tutorial, I’d somehow missed that one. Will try create my own version soon.

12. Anita says:

Oh how I love your snow scene cards, well any of your cards to be truthful! I love your snow banks, they look so realistic and those trees really are fab 🙂

13. Helen G. says:

Wow, Heather! This card just gorgeous!!!!