Birthday Lanterns

Birthday Lanterns Heather Telford

We celebrated my younger daughter’s birthday and the World Cup final yesterday. German friends of ours hosted a party which was a lot of fun. My daughter was very happy to watch the final on her birthday with friends, family and great food.

To create her card I used a technique I have seen on Karen’s blog many times; she is a master at it and I have been inspired to try it. I inked one side of an embossing folder with distress stains, spritzed with water then pressed a piece of watercolour paper onto the embossing folder and closed it. I didn’t run it through the die cut machine this time; I’ll try that another day. I used blue, yellow and green stains which blended with each other and varied in intensity. I trimmed the panel and matted it with Sea Breeze paper from Penny Black and added the die cut lanterns and branch. I trimmed the flowers off the branch for this card and added little bows with a fine tip marker.

Stamps: To You (PB)
Dies:  After Glow, Dancing Blooms (PB)
Inks: Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko)  Mustard Seeds, Evergreen Bough and Broken China  Distress stains (Ranger)
Markers: Pitt Artist Pen (Faber Castell)
Cardstock: Neenah Classic Crest Avon Brilliant White 110lb smooth Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper

8 Comments on “Birthday Lanterns”

1. poppaeacards says:

Love this technique Heather, and the effect with the lanterns is gorgeous. Sounds like your daughter had a fab birthday! Cx

2. Janine B says:

Lovely card – great background. Glad your daughter had a nice Birthday.

I like the silhouette-look of the lanterns against that beautiful background. My great nephew shares a birthday with your daughter! 🙂

4. canadiancaroline says:

What a lovely card and a gorgeous technique! Thanks for directing us to Karen’s blog and Audrey’s YouTube channel. Got’ em both bookmarked… I’m going to try this for the One Layer Simplicity challenge!

5. Helen G. says:

Fabulous work as always! The Silhouette is great!

6. Caryn says:

I like the Asian feel achieved from the combination of the lanterns and the background. The paper looks like the lovely curls of air and clouds seen in ancient Chinese art.

7. Julie Pike says:

Awesome card!

8. canadiancaroline says:

Hi again, Heather. Thanks for the inspiration! Here’s my take on this technique: http://cjmacbred.blogspot.ca/2014/07/watercoloring-with-embossing-folders.html