Backgrounds in Bloom

Floral Tapesty Flame colours Heather Telford

I have made several cards with this pretty background stamp lately and there are more to come. For this one I tried something new, a technique I saw on Jennifer McGuire’s blog and in a few other places too. To begin I stamped the background stamp on watercolour paper with versamark ink then embossed with clear embossing powder. Next I applied several different distress stains taking care to blend them in some places and keep them separate in others. I then spritzed the whole panel with water and let it dry naturally. Finally I placed the panel between two pieces of printer paper and ironed all the embossing off. The effect reminds me of batik, something I did a lot of in high school. I added the “Smile” die cut in the same “Fall festival” cardstock as the mat.

Background stamps have been the feature all week on the Penny Black blog so if you are looking for inspiration pop on over.

Cheryl has set us a  new challenge on the One Layer Simplicity blog which will be a delight to try. Go and take a look.

Stamps: Floral Tapestry (PB)
Dies: Hooray (PB)
Inks: Versamark (Tsukineko) Vintage Photo, Spiced Marmalade, Barn Door, Mustard Seeds  Distress stains (Ranger)
Cardstock: Neenah Classic Crest Natural White 110lb smooth Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, PB Fall festival mix & match paper

11 Comments on “Backgrounds in Bloom”

1. This is gorgeous! And what a fab technique xx

2. Gabby says:

Great use of this great bkgrd stamp! Love it in orange and brown tones. I agree that I used this technique in school art class. I’m pretty sure it was ironing off the wax after batik or tye-dye. Not sure. Getting old, so is memory. Hee! 🙂

3. jmhave44 says:

Gorgeous background stamp, and beautiful use of the technique. This is so happy & summery sunshine feeling. Love it! TFS

4. Wow! I am impressed! I can’t believe it’s the same stamp as pictured on the PB blog!!!! Such a beautiful effect and I adore the colours you used. Bravo! I’m not stamping or blogging at the moment but your wonderful creations are enough to inspire me to want to make something! Thank you!

5. Gery says:

Saw you did several cards with this backgroundstamp and they all look different and all of them are beautiful.
    Took a good look at the video of Jennifer McGuire and I am surely going to give it a try.
    Love to find out if I can do that myself.
    Thank you for showing this.
    Groetjes van Gery

6. Nancy L. says:

Another gorgeous creation!

7. ßeulah ßee says:

What a great technique and one I must try maybe along with the single-layer challenge. You have inspired me–so glad I stopped by!

8. Greta H says:

Saw this on the PB Blog & finally getting over to read your instructions. Gorgeous effect which I really want to try. I love background stamps & want to use them more. Thanks for the inspiration, Heather!

9. lesliekmiller says:

Beautiful effect! What a pretty background stamp, and you’re doing the most wonderful things with it.

10. Diane says:

Gorgeous colors and design.

Hugs diane

This is beautiful, Heather! I have been intrigued by this technique, but have yet to try it… this might be the impetus I need!