Poppies in a field

Poppies in a field

Considering how much I like poppy images it is surprising that it took me a while to play with this stamp. I used one of my favourite watercolour techniques to create this little scene and paired it with one of my favourite sentiment stamps.

For this look, I paint water onto my watercolour paper first. I ink the stamp with markers and stamp it onto the wet paper. The ink bleeds immediately and some times the images are barely recognisable. After the paper has dried a little I stamp the image again and start blending the ink with a brush or aqua painter. At this point I add extra colour to petals and stems if necessary with markers or watercolour pencils.  Before the paper has dried I add the blue sky with a paint brush and maybe a little sponging.

I didn’t have the exact colour of pink cardstock to mat the image panel so I just sponged the edge in the same Memento Rosebud ink that I had used for the petals.

Thanks for visiting and leaving me such l0vely comments. I loved all the border ideas submitted for my last One Layer Wednesday Challenge but have not managed to finish commenting yet. I’ll get there; thanks for your patience.

Stamps: Field of Poppies, Thanks, thanks (PB)
Inks & Markers: Memento Summer Sky, Bamboo Leaves, Cantaloupe, Rose bud, Potter’s Clay  (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Faber Castell water colour pencils.

22 Comments on “Poppies in a field”

1. Doris Cote says:

Love the way the color floats above the area it is intended for, sort of mystical.

2. Elisa says:

Beautiful!

3. Liz says:

Your art is so lovely. Thanks for sharing your techniques. I’m so happy to see your creations every day.

Wow, Heather, a beauty. I had to go look at the stamp itself — love how you took the defined image and turned it into this ethereal watercolour.

5. suemcrae says:

What a great dreamy, artsy feel to this card!

6. Linda says:

I keep trying to get the results that you get-I need more practice. Love this one as much as the others-you are such an inspiration. Thanks once again.

7. Jan Castle says:

Lovely work of art Heather!!!

8. Ellie says:

Simply stunning. Love the watercolor look!

9. Mary H. says:

My watercolor efforts NEVER look like this! So soft & lovely, and smart idea on coloring your mat to match a color of your image. TFS

10. Sally H says:

That is just stunning Heather! What a fabulous effect. I will have to try it!

11. Oh my goodness! This is so beautiful! I’ve got to try it now. I just hope I have a similar stamp image.

Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day.

Debbie

12. Robyn Polinsky says:

This is REALLY pretty! Thanks for sharing. I am so going to try this!!!

13. Doris says:

I love poppies, too, ever since I saw them growing wild on a trip to Italy. I was drawn to this card immediately, as I am to most of yours. Thanks for the how-to and the way you matched the underlying mat with the ink you used. I’m a regular follower of your blog and love your style. This card is gorgeous!

14. ND says:

Poppies have always been one of your favourite flowers since a little girl walked about the garden pointing out “pop-pees”. There is also something of Monet (another favourite, I think) in the images of poppies you create. Well done. Another lovely card.

15. Gabby says:

Perfect in pink! Love your “loose” style of water-coloring on this card. 🙂

16. katie says:

Such a beautiful piece of art. Etherial – not sure of the spelling, but has such a light feel to it. Thanks for sharing the ‘how’ of it.

17. This is beautiful! Love your watercolour effect 🙂

18. Francie in Montreal says:

Your card is a delight to look at. I deeply admire your mastery of this technique. You cannot imagine how awed I am with the colours and how you’ve laid them on paper. A feast for the eyes.

19. Anne from France says:

I too love poppies and this stamp is beautiful! Another item on the wishlist!!!! A beautiful card, so light and summery with rich but subtle colour. Superb! Thanks for sharing this with us!

20. Marja says:

Marvelous work, marvelous poppies
    lovely greet
    Marja

21. […] using the technique shown in this tutorial. Noel, Watercolour Night Sky, Watercolour Snowstorm, Poppies in a Field, Watercolour […]