Snowscape glimpse

Snowscape glimpse

Sometimes a small snapshot of a scene is all that is necessary to give you the big picture. That’s why I like making stamped landscapes which are either wide and short or narrow and tall; they give you a glimpse of a larger scene.

The challenge at CAS-ual Fridays today is to make a clean and simple thank you card. I need a few thank you cards so I decided to keep it simple and enter the challenge. This card started out as a one layer card masked top and bottom with post-it notes but I stamped a simple “thank you” and got two extra black dots I hadn’t asked for. Not to worry, I sliced the stamped panel out of the card and stuck it on a white card base and proceeded to stamp the sentiment again. This time no dots, but crooked! I peeled off the snowscape panel and re-positioned it over the crooked ‘thank you” then wrote my own. The landscape was stamped in the following order:

1. Position top and bottom masks then curved horizon mask
  2. Stamp trees in Paris dusk over the horizon.
  3. Re-position curved mask and stamp trees in black, emboss in clear.
  4. Return curved mask to horizon, add a post-it circle for the moon and sponge the sky in Summer sky and Paris dusk
  5. Return curved mask to lower hill position and sponge snow bank in Summer sky
  6. Remove curved mask and sponge lower edge in Paris dusk

My son has gone downhill skiing with a friend today for the first time. He’ll probably love it…

Stamps: Β Christmas Park(PB)
Inks:Β Memento Summer Sky, Paris Dusk, Versafine Onyx Black, Versamark(Tsukineko)
Also:Β Clear embossing powder

33 Comments on “Snowscape glimpse”

1. Sandy K says:

Your thank you card is beautiful!

2. KK says:

Ha, ha – sounds like the way I make most of my cards πŸ˜‰ I’m not brilliant at keeping things clean, despite all my efforts. Love this little ‘scape’ – beautifully done x

3. Oh Heather, beautiful as always. You make it SOUND so easy. . . Lol! Hope your son has a blast skiing.

4. Laura Holt says:

I LOVE it when a “pro” goofs up [twice!] AND ‘fesses up to it……. AND ends up with a gorgeous card despite -or because of – it all! Laura

5. diana says:

Lovely card! The new snow here in Ottawa is so inspiring that I will be trying my hand at making some landscapes. Thanks for sharing your techniques and especially your tips on fixing mistakes. It’s very helpful to know that even experienced stampers make mistakes. LOL πŸ˜‰

6. Mary H. says:

Lovely scene. Oh I loved reading that even YOU get blurbs on your cards. I enjoy learning how other cardmakers do their ‘fixes & saves’. Is very encouraging to a rather ‘amateur’. TFS and Hugs. Stay warm.

7. Stunning card!! Thank you for showing us how. I hope your son had a fab time skiing xx

8. Vicki B says:

Gorgeous! Love the bold blue sky. You do such great cards with these “landscapes”. When I have stamped a flower and gotten a small spot of ink from the edge of the rubber, I just cover it up with a small butterfly.

9. Geri Greening says:

…. I really do have to find a word that is bigger than WOW, because I need it for this card! How about something like “Specta-wow-zing” which is a combination of ‘spectacular’, ‘wow’, and ‘amazing’ Heather, Heather, Heather….you rock! πŸ™‚ Geri

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 16:16:23 +0000 To: ggreener@mymts.net

10. Carol L says:

I think I should stop making cards and just have you make cards for me! LOL Each new creation you come up with just floors me, and this is no exception! Beautiful!!

11. Janine B says:

This is such a gorgeous card – I really must learn to sponge more effectively – I want to be able to create cards like this!

12. Debbie Porter says:

HI Heather,

I would like to begin my Christmas cards for next year in advance. Your cards are just lovely and I am planning to use a few of your designs for my cards. Where do you purchase your Penny Black stamps? Thanks for your help.

Debbie

13. stormy says:

can you please do a video on this one?

14. Jan Castle says:

Beautiful card Heather…as always!!!! Your art is amazing!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

15. Judy says:

Amazing– so serene and lovely! You have captured not only how a snowy scene looks but also how it feels.

16. Lin says:

I have recently come across your blog and your work is beautiful. It gives me inspiration to try masking. Thank you.

17. Another breathtaking work of art.

18. Sharon Harris says:

Such an amazing technique. Mine never turn out like yours, but I’m not giving up. Please continue to give us such fabulous inspiration. I was sure this one was a photo!

19. Gabby says:

Gorgeous card! The colors are so deep and vivid and oh that wonderful white space! πŸ™‚

Excellent, a double save! I think the vivid colours really add to the snapshot scene. Downhill skiing… an expensive hobby! (Not at all like stamping…)

21. Natalie H says:

Be still my heart!! This is gorgeous!

22. scrapawayg3 says:

Wow! GORGEOUS scene! Love it. thanks for playing along with us @ CAS-ual Fridays:)

23. pattisj says:

Another pretty card! You are a whiz with masks and coloring. Glad to hear I’m not the only one who is down to the last step or so and then has to reinvent the card. πŸ™‚ I like the white space and snowy scenel.

24. Debbie Porter says:

Where do you purchase your Penny Black stamps? Thanks so much.

25. Bethany S. says:

This is amazing! I LOVE it so much. It’s just so beautiful and the scene looks real! wow.

26. Lisa Addesa says:

Absolutely beautiful, Heather…your work ALWAYS is:)!!! So happy you joined the challenge this week at CAS-ual Fridays:)!!

27. Greta H says:

I gasped when I saw this–stunning card!

28. Barbara Lasky says:

Beautiful, so peaceful looking. I so appreciated that you shared the bumps you encountered in making this card. It is good to know that even the most talented artists sometimes need a “do over”.