Winter Berry Branch tutorial

Thank you so much everyone who has arrived here via the Penny Black blog and also my faithful readers who drop in here regularly to see what I have been doing. The comments I have received in the last day have been such a treat to read. Thank you also to all my  subscribers; I am so pleased you have been inspired to sign up.

What better way to thank you all than a tutorial? Many of you asked questions about the Winter Berry Branch card I posted last week so  here is the tutorial which will hopefully provide the answers.

Mask the around the area where you are creating your scene. This is one of the trickiest steps, sometimes I trust my eye, sometimes the ruler; both have been known to fail me.

Flick masking fluid randomly over the cardbase. I put my card in a box, almost close the box and blindly flick the paintbrush with masking fluid on it around over the card. This way the masking fluid is contained in the box. An old toothbrush does a good job too but I didn’t have a spare and didn’t think anyone in my family would appreciate masking fluid toothpaste! While you wait for the masking fluid to dry, wash the brush because the masking fluid can ruin it if you don’t.

Stamp the branch first in versamark using a stamp positioning tool. Re-ink with versamark and then add whatever colours you want on your branch using markers; I used real red and early espresso. While you are inking your stamp with markers you must not move your stamp positioning tool.

When your branched is inked in versamark and colour move your stamp positioning tool ever-so-slightly down (as in no more than a millimeter!) and stamp the branch again. What you have created is two branch images extremely close together which you will heat emboss in clear.

In the close up below you can see the two impressions from the stamp. Ideally you want the coloured print to overlap with the versamark print. The versamark is the snow sitting on the branch.  The yellow dots are the masking fluid. Because they are raised they will resist the stamp a bit but it doesn’t matter as it will look like a clump of snow.

After embossing in clear embossing powder it is time to start sponging. I tend to build up the colour slowly when sponging so the variations in intensity will be gradual. If you are not happy with your sponging it could be that you stopped too soon.

When you are happy with your sponging you can gently rub off the masking fluid. It should come off easily but make sure you keep your fingers clean otherwise you can smudge colour into the freshly revealed white spots. Remove the masks when all the masking fluid is gone to see your snow laden branch.

Stamps: Berry Branch (Penny Black), Teeny Tiny Wishes(SU)
Inks: Versamark, Marina Mist, Bashful Blue, Real Red, Early Espresso
Cardstock: MFP 100lb white
Also: Clear e.p., Winsor & Newton masking fluid

45 Comments on “Winter Berry Branch tutorial”

1. absolutely love your card! I have never heard of masking fluid before. I usually just put sticky notes down and pray the ink doesn’t seep underneath.

2. Miranda says:

Thanks for the tutorial Heather, it’s such a lovely card and technique, greetz, MIranda

3. Joan B says:

I have this stamp and have never used it. Your tutorial is fantastic and I hope to try it out. Thanks so much. Your work is drop dead gorgeous!

4. Judy says:

Beautiful card! Thanks for the tutorial. Your masking and coloring are
    truly masterful.

5. Paula says:

the card is beautiful! I also have this stamp, but from you I learned a new technique and a new way to use this very pretty stamp. Thank you for sharing this tutorial.

6. KellyRae says:

Fabulous tutorial Heather! I LOVE how the masking fluid effortlessly creates your snow. Thanks for sharing this technique. Now maybe I’ll finally crack open my bottle of masking fluid I bought 6 years ago.

7. Becky Jo says:

I have masking fluid and have never used it. You have just given me a great excuse to at least try it. I love this card! The branch looks so real. Thanks for sharing this technique! Hugs!!

8. Thanks for the tutorial. I’m very excited about finding your blog. I love the cards you are doing. Can’t wait to try my hand at using your tutorial!

9. Pam Sparks says:

Gorgeous Heather! Thanks so much for the how to! I love your creations!

10. Godelieve says:

Fabulous!! Thanks for showing how you did this beauty!

11. Anne Marks says:

Thanks for the tutorial I will give this a go. Your card is beautiful:)

12. Marja says:

Fabulous Heather. Thank you very much for your tutorial. I love these carrds of you so very much. And appreciate it that you let see us to built this card up.
    have a nice Sunday and lovely greet
    Marja

13. Lisa says:

So excited to see this tutorial!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to make one for us!

14. Beate says:

Heather,
    Your card is absolutely gorgeous! Love the idea of using masking fluid as snowflakes.
    Hugs and smiles

15. Sue McRae says:

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial. Love the magical use of the masking fluid.

16. Karen says:

Gorgeous! What a wonderful tutorial. I had thought I would try it, but when I read it, I was grateful for the helpful tips that will likely save me a few false starts. This is absolutely stunning and has me plotting my next trip to Wallack’s for some masking fluid.

17. Vicky says:

Such a clear tutorial Heather. Your winter branch is utterly beautiful!

Thank you for this, Heather! Great tutorial. If you could only share a tutorial on your amazing talent. 😉

19. Deb says:

I love your cards and just bought some masking fluid so I can make my attempt! one thing I am wondering about is how well the emboss powder sticks after doing the 2 layers of versamark? do you have to work real quickly or does the versamark stay damp enough for the emboss powder to stick? thanks for the tutorial- was easy to follow.

20. Deb says:

Absolutely love your masking cards and your tutorial is just lovely. Masking is one of my favorite things to do. I’m in love with low-tack painters tape and have several rolls to mask things away!

21. marty ferraro says:

thank you.
    thank you.
    thank you.
    your cards are exquisite. they take my breath away every.single.time.
    i bought this stamp recently because of your cards. now i think i might be able to use it!!!!!
    wow.
    thanks so much for the inspiration and taking the time to explain your methods.
    marty ferraro

22. Heather, my jaw just drops!! SO BEAUTIFUL!! And thank you for the tutorial.

23. Cathy A says:

Fabulous tutorial Heather, thatnks for sharing it with us all.

24. Welcome to the team Heather. I loved your tutorial. Thank you!!!

25. Great steps with fabulous results Heather!

26. Donna H says:

Heather,
    Thank you so much for answering my call for this tutorial! It is wonderful and I am pinning it so that I can refer back to it easily. I love each and every card of yours.

27. Aundria B. says:

Thank you for this wonderful tutorial – your cards are truly works of art. I will definitely be referring back to this.

28. sue says:

Heather, thank you for an amazing tutorial! Your card is beautiful, and something I’d never have thought I could do. Your taking it step by step makes me think that maybe I could actually do something like this! Believe me, I’ll try. And if I come anywhere close to yours, I’ll be happy. Thank you for another beautiful card, and for showing us just how you did it.

29. stempelomi says:

wow, thanks a lot for your tutorial! I will try it!

30. Lynne says:

I love your card so much, I bought the stamp today and am trying your tutorial tonight. Thank you for sharing your wonderful card and tutorial. Your cards are truly amazing!

31. debbie says:

I have just come across your blog what wonderful cards you make – very inspiring x 🙂

32. Maria McClure says:

versamark plus markers plus clear embossing!!! I’ve done the clear masks bu never in a million years would I have thought of that to get colors incorporated as well. Thank you so much! Hope you don’t mind my pinning this!

33. […] I used a technique which I have described previously in a tutorial here: Winter Berry Branch tutorial […]

34. Brilliant tutorial and wonderful card, thank you! xx

35. Melissa Edwards says:

I love this card and had to try if for myself! My only question…when I colored over the versamark with the markers, my marker tips got all gooped up with the versamark ink and wouldn’t color the surface well…not to mention that when I tried to use the marker later, it still had versamark ink in the tip and would no longer color smoothly. Did I do something wrong?

36. Dora says:

Wow this is fantastic, thank you for the tutorial. I’ve never tried anything like this before.I’m your new follower xx

37. Iris Mcnab says:

Wow! You do such extraordinary work with your stamps and supplies! I just found you on Pinterest,and am willing to try some of your techniques. Especially the Winter ones,I always have a hard time to do snowscapes,and such! Thanks for the tutorials! Keep up the good work!

38. […] first thought it would be, hence the title.  I double embossed the branches using the method shown here. Extra embossing powder stuck on and around the masking fluid droplets creating the appearance of […]

39. marcyb123123 says:

Very exciting technique! Super tutorial. I love this stamp, and you have created many amazing scenes with it! Thanks so much!

40. […] To create this snowscape I first stamped the Christmas Reds & Greens stamp with versamark taking care to put a stamp positioner in place before I lifted it. I then inked the same stamp with dark green pigment ink, moved the stamp positioner slightly down and to the right and stamped again. I repeated the double stamping in the opposite corner and then embossed all in clear powder. The double stamping is a technique I use to make a thin layer of snow appear on a branch or tree. (I have a tutorial showing the steps of the technique here) […]

41. […] to create a layer of snow on branches: Winter Berry Branch tutorial How to create snow banks: Snowy Tree […]

42. Lynne N says:

This is just lovely, I’m going to try this technique soon.

43. What a beautiful! Beautiful! Card. Love it

44. […] I didn’t set out to make these four cards so similar in layout and but it has been a interesting challenge to change the colour scheme each time to convey the feeling of each season. I did a similar thing a few years back using the Berry Branch stamp from Penny Black. (Spring & Summer, Fall & Winter, Winter tutorial) […]