Reflections

The photography section of the National Geographic website is full of breathtaking photos.  One caught my eye a couple of days ago and inspired the following card.  You can see the photo by Macduff Everton here.

I took a few stamper’s liberties in recreating the photo as I was limited by the stamps I had.  I masked the top and bottom of the card then place a mask across the line of reflection to create the top part of the scene first. Using three tones of brown I sponged the sky , hill and ground then added the trees.

After moving the centre mask I sponged the reflections.  I then re-stamped the trees on the plastic positioning sheet that comes with stamp-ama-jig. I placed the sheet upside down and ink side down below the line of reflection and rolled over it with a brayer to transfer the image.  I know, I know a photo tutorial would explain it much better than me!

The National Geographic site has also inspired me to try and take some reflections shots of my own. I hope you enjoy your long weekend, if you have one. It’s back to school tomorrow for everyone here.  Thanks for dropping by and thanks for leaving comments here; I love to read them and follow the trail back to your creations when I can.

Stamps: Little stamp of four trees I acquired somewhere,  Thank you Kindly (SU)
Inks: Crumb cake, Soft Suede, Early Espresso (SU)
Cardstock: Flourishes Classic Ivory

23 Comments on “Reflections”

1. Strolchi says:

Eine großartige Karte mit einer fantastischen Spiegelung
    LG Biggi

2. sue says:

Heather, this may very well be my favorite of all the cards you’ve ever done. When it first popped up, I wasn’t sure if it was a photograph or your card. I can’t believe the realism you captured with these sepia tones and reflection. I’m just amazed it’s not a photo. This is absolutely stunning, Heather. Give yourself a huge pat on the back. This is phenomenol. It just takes your breath away. Wow.

3. Terry says:

WOW!! I am at a loss for words…..absolutely gorgeous.
    Ditto, ditto, ditto from Sue above….Sue, you said it so well.

4. Charlene says:

Gorgeous…have to try this. Inspired way to transfer the mirror image.

5. Marja says:

heather this is breathtaking. What very very beuatiful. And your reflection stamping is so super. Sure this is one of my favorites. It seems a photo. Done so handsome. I adore your work and it inspired me to try this by myself. Who knows?.
    Lovely greet
    Marja

6. Chrissie says:

Heather, this is completely stunning!
    The idea of stamping onto plastic sheet or acetate or whatever was brilliant and has worked superbly!
    Something else for me to try to aspire to, for it is certainly inspirational!
    Chrissie

7. jan c says:

I too thought it a photo at first glance… It is
    indeed a work of art…I so look forward to your
    new card each day!!!

8. debby says:

While the National Geographic pictures are breathtaking, I thought your interpretation was even nicer and makes for a beautiful card. Thanks for the link, I’m always looking for inspiration!

Breathtaking, Heather! I love the monochromatic look of this, and the reflection is perfect. (And I understood your non-photo explanation just fine!)

10. valerie says:

Heather this is amazing, it appears to be a sepia photo at first glance and then we see how creative you have been! I always love your art work but this is something else:) Surely there must be a challenge you can enter it into?
    Val x

11. BREATHTAKING GF!! Excellent job

12. Linby says:

wow, wow, wow! I love this and you cased the photograph brilliantly.
    Linbyx

13. Nancy S. says:

Hi Heather –

Your card is beautiful. I check your blog often as I love your style. Thanks for the inspiration.

14. ND says:

Life has been busy in this home and I have not had opportunity to offer comment on the two most recent cards. My first task each morning when turning on the computer is to see whether there is any thing new on “Sentient” or this, your card blog. it is always a joy when there is a new post.

Because of the time difference between us, there is usually a comment or two on the card blog before I open up, but occasionally there is the response we have seen to these two most recent cards – twenty, now 31 comments on “Golden Leaves” and twelve, now thirteen responses to “Reflections”. Clearly, you have struck a chord with your fellow card makers – those who know the techniques and intracacies, as well as the difficulties of, card making.

As you know, I have little knowledge of the technicalities; I don’t even understand some of the terms that you and you colleagues use. But I do understand and appreciate something of content and composition, mainly from a photographic perspective. And, of course, I know what I like and appreciate. And I certainly like these two most recent cards, as does RJ.

In a sense, you have created a new challenge for yourself – finding inspiration in a photograph. There is a recognizable likeness, but not a copy. You have retained the essentials of the reflection, whilst being free to omit some non-essentials.

I know that you have previously drawn inspiration from photographs and I recall your Stamped Brindabella (img 8812card17). No doubt there have been others from time to time. Now that you have ventured into that area again, perhaps there are other photographs that inspire and other techniques to be tried.

We realize that life will change as the classroom reverts to its designated purpose, but we look forward to more cards and Sentient blogs from time to time.

ND

15. What a fabulous card. You really did a wonderful job and have inspired me to try this technique. TFS
    Hugs
    Pauline

16. i realy like your blogg and all you do.

17. Oh, Heather! You are as amazing as ever! This is a masterpiece that only a true artist could create. I saw your comment on my blog, so I’m wondering if this one will stick, now. Let’s see…

18. Ann Y says:

This is a work of art, Heather. Truly beautiful stamping.

Ann

19. Judy says:

Beautiful card! I am amazed at how real it looks.

20. *GASP* This is incredible, Heather, absolutely stunning!!

21. Diane L says:

What an Awesome creation – thank you so much for sharing. This goes directly to the CASE section.

22. KK says:

Absolutely stunning design – beautiful work x