Seashells

Penny Black recently came out with new stamps that had me daydreaming of the beach. I was a shell collector as a child and still love wandering the shore looking for seashell beauty when I get the chance.

To bring these clear stamps to life I stamped initially in various colours of Catherine Pooler ink then blended out the colours to fill the shells. I smooshed the inks on my glass mat so I could use it as a palette and featured brown inks in all four shells but added different colours to make each one stand out a little. After blending colours for a while some of the initial detail was lost so I used a few distress markers to add some lines back in.

Once the shells dried I used a warm grey Karin brush marker to add shadows below the shells. I drew around the base of each shell in grey then blended it out with water before adding extra grey right beside the shell for depth.

I popped the panel up up an embossed background made with the ‘mod squares’ folder from Altenew.

Oh I would like to be beside the seaside!

Supplies

(Compensated affiliate links used when possible)

8 Comments on “Seashells”

1. nancystiz says:

I was sure this was a photograph! Never have I seen stamping done like this before. I’d have never guessed it was stamped and watercolored. This is absolutely amazing!

2. Bonnie says:

These shells just pop off the page, Heather! Wonderful colors and details that are so realistic!

3. PaperMorePaper says:

Beautiful, beautiful shells! The shading is perfect. Thanks much for your detailed description.

You can come visit us here in FL on the gulf coast anytime…..though you might wish to wait for the red tide and Covid surge to calm down a bit! (TIC: Tongue in Cheek)

Gorgeous watercoloured shells Heather and they really leap of the page with the added shadow beneath each and a super sentiment too, and love the embossed background which it has been popped up over. x

5. Carol Celeste says:

Wow! fantastic coloring. The shells look like I could just pick them up off the paper. Beautiful.

6. Karen Jackson says:

I really thought initially that these shells were die cut and mounted, the shadow shading is so good and the colours so lifelike. 3D perfection.

7. Vicki Dutcher says:

It’s been a minute since I’ve been here.Stunning set of shells. So glad I popped back! Following you 😀