Snow trails

We’ve had some beautiful skies lately, the heavens declaring the glory of the Lord. I decided to add bold colour to this beautiful ‘snow trails’ stamp from Penny Black for a similarly dramatic sky. To begin I embossed the stamp on hot pressed watercolour paper then splattered masking fluid over the panel.

I painted the sky from yellow up adding a colour at a time and blending each into the next. I used my peerless watercolours for all the painting and they blended beautifully. I decided to paint the tree trunks that were not already black in brown, that way I did not have to preserved white ‘birch’ trunks as I painted in the sky. I used the same colours but more diluted to paint colour on the snow and create shadows along the path and in the foreground. Once dry I removed the masking fluid to reveal the falling snow.

The popped up sentiment in the corner became a necessity when I botched the sentiment directly on the painted panel. I framed the panel in blue and attached it to a natural white card base. Can’t wait to paint another of these panels; it is such a peaceful scene.

Hope you are having a peaceful day.

Supplies

Stamps: snow trails

Die: tagged

Ink: versafine clair nocturne

Paper: hot pressed watercolour paper, blue shimmer paper

Paint: peerless transparent watercolours

Also: clear embossing powder

7 Comments on “Snow trails”

1. Mary Ann says:

…and the sky above proclaims His handiwork! Stunning card, Heather – wow!!!

2. Margarita J German says:

Another beautiful card. You inspire us to try. Thank you.

3. Karen Jackson says:

Oh Heather – just when I thought I didn’t need another winter scene PB stamp you inspire us with this masterpiece. The sky is brilliantly coloured. Your observation is everything. I especially love the paler shadow colours reflected on the snow. The crisply new fallen snow is just begging to be walked upon in appreciation of the wonderful sky. You are so honest to explain the need for a popped up sentiment. No one would have thought it other than artistic choice, but it is comforting to me to know that experienced artists sometimes make mistakes. Well done!

4. Janet S. says:

Absolute Perfection!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

5. karenajo says:

Beautiful card – very stunning! I always read your blogs and admire your lovely handiwork. I just don’t take the time to comment , but I want to say I am inspired by your creations! Thank you!

6. debsmart says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I love your blended watercolours; the sky looks amazing. Also how the snow looks like it’s in drifts along the path.