Flower perch

I have a tried and true colouring method for you today. I know I have shared this technique before but it’s a favourite of mine so here it is again! I even have a video where I demonstrate this technique with a different stamp.

I stamped the ‘flower perch’ image in vintage photo and did all the painting with watercolour pencils. I used a damp brush to pick up colour from the pencil leads. When I paint onto the stamped image the colour from the pencils mixes with the vintage photo ink giving everything a brown tinge.

After I had completed the bird and branch I decided to add the script stamp to the back ground. I avoided the bird by placing post it notes here and there and by only pressing part of the stamp onto the panel each time. I can’t remember if I had taped the panel down at the beginning or whether I did it just before adding the script. Either way I had tape around the edges which enabled me to mask a plain frame around the panel when I sponged the border and splattered vintage photo ink here and there. I even remembered to stamp an envelope to match!

Supplies

Stamps: flower perch 40-593, script 40-470

Paper: hot pressed watercolour paper

Ink: vintage photo distress ink, vintage sepia versafine ink

Pencils: Faber-Castell Albrecht Dürer watercolour pencils (178, 190, 191, 195, 131, 187, 174, 141, 233)

15 Comments on “Flower perch”

1. Mac Mable says:

Such a delicate and pretty card. Your gentle colouring is amazing. Great technique love the background text stamping, the blended frame and the splats…x

2. creatingincolors says:

I love the colors and the softness of this card. Beautiful!

This is a gorgeous card Heather and I adore the way the sepia tones give a slight tint to all the colours you use which unites it so prettily. This is a beautiful PB image and perfect for this time of year. x

4. memalagene says:

Gorgeous creation!

5. Lynn leduc says:

I love this one, Heather.

6. boilermom27 says:

Wow, just gorgeous!

7. Sherry says:

Just beautiful! In your supply list you have vintage sepia Versafine ink. Did you stamp with it or use the color to paint the bird?

• Heather says:

Thank you Sherry. As I wrote the blog post I did wonder to myself whether I should explain where I used the versafine…
      I only used it on the envelope; all the rest of the stamping was done with distress ink so I could blend it.

8. Sherry says:

I forgot to mention how much I just love your water coloring techniques!!

9. Wow that is just gorgeous, love the vintage feel it gives to it!

10. ID SuzyQ says:

The soft tones in this card bring back memories of times when the world was a more gentle and embracing place. Outstanding use of color that touches my heart. Heather you do awesome work. Thank you so much!

• Heather says:

Thank you Suzy for your sweet comment. The vintage effect does remind me of old cards and wrapping paper my mother might have saved years ago.

11. Bonnie says:

Love these soft, vintage colors, Heather! What a beautiful card! I just watched the video again and so enjoyed it! Now to give it a try.

• Heather says:

Thank you Bonnie for your lovely comment. It is a fun technique to use with any outline stamp; I’m looking forward to seeing your take on the technique.