Norah Head lighthouse

Today’s card has been sent to my dad for his birthday but considering the time it takes for mail to get from Canada to Australia these days and my own postal disorder it did not arrive in time. He is currently visiting my brother so this post provides a sneak peak before the real thing arrives in his mail box. Happy Birthday, Dad! I chose this stamp from Darkroom Door for several reasons. When I first visited Darkroom Door in 2016 I enjoyed visiting and talking with the owners Rachel and Stewart. When my dad returned to pick me up he walked in, looked at all the DD stamps displayed and was drawn to two stamps in particular; this was one of them. During the same 2016 trip Dad and I went to the Norah Head lighthouse, featured on this stamp and not too far from my parents’ home. We went for a quick look and discovered there was a guided tour about to start so we joined in. We heard the history of the light and enjoyed the views from several vantage points.

To paint this scene I stamped the scene in distress inks, the top border, sea and light in stormy sky, the land around the light in forest moss and the foreground rocks in black.  I then used stains to paint the scene; I’ve listed them below. After painting I used a fine tip micron pen to re-draw the railing and details on the light then wrote a sentiment.

My father has been interested in lighthouses for years and has visited many around the world. I have a connection to one from very early in my life. I was born on King Island in Bass Strait, off the coast of Tasmania and home of the tall Cape Wickham lighthouse. Although I don’t remember the occasion I have a photograph Dad took of me in front of the light.

Supplies

Stamp: lighthouse (DD)

Inks: stormy sky, forest moss, black soot distress inks & markers

Stains: worn lipstick, mustard seed, salty ocean, forest moss, black soot, stormy sky, vintage photo distress

Paper: hot pressed watercolour paper

Tools: stamping platform

Also: micron pen .01

19 Comments on “Norah Head lighthouse”

1. simone says:

REALLY NICE CARD FOR YOUR DAD… I LIKE HOW YOU CONNECT THE CARDS TO PERSONAL EVENTS. IT REALLY MAKES THEM SPECIAL AND GIVES US THE THOUGHT A WELL TO CONNECT TO A SPECIAL EVENT, NOT JUST MAKE A CARD AND SEND IT BUT ADD SOMETHING THAT REALLY PERSONALIZES IT TO THE RECIPIENT!
    THANKS FOR SHARING!

This is a beautiful card for your Dad and he will treasure it I’m sure. Our son lives in Sydney and we have been to various parts on our visits but never up to the Central Coast and it looks really lovely so must rectify that on a future visit, and it would be great to visit Darkroom Door as their stamps are so detailed and this lighthouse is no exception. I love the red and orange in the sky and that beautiful blue near the horizon, and the lovely loose treatment you have given it. x

3. memalagene says:

GORGCOUS card! I love the history of light houses with your dad!

4. creatingincolors says:

What a beautiful card, beautiful photographs, and your beautiful story behind it all.

5. Chrystal Lewis says:

Lovely card, nice to have one for a man. I always struggle more with men’s cards.

________________________________

6. Bonnie says:

This is a real work of art, Heather! Your Dad will treasure this! What interesting connections you have to these lighthouses!

7. Clelie says:

Happy Birthday “Dad”! Have a wonderful, blessed birthday! 😀 We love your daughter and I, for one, have learned so much from her creative ‘sharings’! Heather, love the gorgeous card and appreciate the ‘man card’ ideas you share (sometimes it is hard to think of guy cards).♥

8. Clelie says:

Oops,,,forgot to mention how much I enjoyed reading your post about the lighthouse and the picture of you and your dad, and you as a child (so CUTE!)

9. Rufus says:

Gorgeous card! And from reading your story, the perfect one for your Dad’s Birthday. Hope that he had a happy one! I always enjoy seeing your creations, they’re invariably beautiful and inspiring.

10. Godelieve says:

How very special! Your Dad will love this gorgeous card!

11. Christine says:

Lovely card. Love the story too.

12. macarisms says:

Great card and great post. I look forward to the Bonny Hills collection!

13. cmt says:

Beautiful card, lovely story. Who knew? Tasmania!
    Happy Birthday, Dad!!!!!

14. What a stunning card. I love the colours you have used in the sky. Love Dawn x

15. Janine B says:

Great card and photos.Hope your Dad enjoys it.

16. ND says:

Firstly, let me express my thanks to those ‘commenters’ who have added their birthday greetings to yours. They have again expressed the care of your card creating family.
    Secondly, it was joy to see the local lighthouse carrying greeting from Canada. It caught my eye the moment I first saw it at Darkroom Door.
    As you have said, I appreciate lighthouses and visited many, particularly around Tasmania and south eastern Australia.. I climbed Cape Wickham light on several occasions. I also enjoyed travelling with you to some of the white and red lighthouses of Canada’s Maritime Provinces.
    For me, each is unique, different but designed but designed toguide the way for all who come within the orbit of its light – abit like us people, equally unique.
    Home tomorrow, to the letter box and your very special card.
    Thank you!